• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Urination Guilty Plea by Mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CK234

I received a pink court summons for public urination. It was only a violation and I could plea guilty by mail if I didn't want to appear in court. I sent in a check with the summons but never saw the check cashed and haven't heard anything about it going through. My original court date is scheduled for tomorrow and the last thing need is a warrant out for my arrest. How do I know if it went through? Thanks

TigerD

I received a pink court summons for public urination. It was only a violation and I could plea guilty by mail if I didn't want to appear in court. I sent in a check with the summons but never saw the check cashed and haven't heard anything about it going through. My original court date is scheduled for tomorrow and the last thing need is a warrant out for my arrest. How do I know if it went through? Thanks
You go to court with a cashiers check or a money order.

TD

CK234

I'm located in NY. I did send a personal check could that be why it didn't go through? Thanks for the help guys looks like I'm going to bring a money order to court tomorrow.

single317dad

http://www.nycourts.gov/COURTS/nyc/criminal/specialprojects.shtml

Section 16-118 - “Public Urination”

Effective July 1, 2004 individuals who receive a Criminal Court Summons citing a violation of Section 16-118 of the N.Y.C. Administrative Code - “Section 16-118 - Public Urination” are eligible to plead guilty and pay a $50 fine by mail. This program is available to persons charged with this petty offense only, and only if no other summonses are issued to the individual at the same time.
In order to plead guilty by mail you must send the following:
the plea form, completed and signed
the summons you received
check or money order for $50 made payable to NYC Criminal Court (DO NOT SEND CASH) with the summons number written on the payment
The above items must be mailed within 10 days of the date that the summons was issued, to:
N.Y.C. Criminal Court
P.O. Box 555
New York, NY 10013-0555
If you plead guilty by mail, you do not need to appear in Court.
To participate download and complete the form.
Assuming you've been charged in NYC criminal court for violation of 16-118, it looks like a personal check is allowable payment for the $50 fine, so my previous advice should be ignored. Please do go to court, though, and get to the bottom of this; the issue will only be compounded if you leave it unsolved.

CK234

I just got back from court. They did in fact receive my money and told me I could go home. I don't know why the check has never been cashed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">