• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pulled over driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathytknsn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
I was driving to work today and passed a police car that was sitting on the side of the road, I assumed clocking with radar. I passed him (he was facing same direction i was gong) and didnt bat any eye because I wasnt speeding and my vehicle is legal. I made a turn into a neighborhood to go to my case and the officer pulled me over. I asked why and he said i will tell you after get your license, etc...i said ok and gave them to him. he then said the reason i pulled you over is you have a suspended license. I was shocked and had no clue. regardless, wh would he run my tag for just driving past him? My windows are tinted dark due to my job (P.I.) so he couldnt have seen the driver rather it be myself or my wife. He was a real jerk. I know they can run tags for just about any reason but he coudnt have possibly seen the driver. Come to find out, i had too many points for minor speed infractions over the years (again due to my job) which assesed points and my license was suspended. I didnt realize because it was two years after the fct and i had moved. Can he just run my tag cuz i drove by him? plus he had to speed to catch me once the tag came back about my license.

OHRoadwarrior

Many State Police agencies run plates regularly as part of the auto theft recovery program. A friend has recovered about 10 stolen cars this way. I believe it is onlt illegal to run plates for non official business.

OSHP | Blue Max

The only thing I found for Florida is Operation Help-Cat

Operation Help-Cat (Help Combat Auto Theft) is a program funded from a grant received by the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. The statewide Hotline, 1-900-Help-Cat (1-800-435-7228) is operated by the FHP Investigations Section in Tallahassee. The Hotline is designed for the public to report suspicions about possible "chop shops" or the resale of stolen vehicles and parts, or to provide tips about the identity of car thieves and organized motor vehicle theft rings.

It may be done as a part of that.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Cops can run tags for any reason. It's called good police work. If the owner is suspended, that's usually good enough probable cause. Not sure how your job makes illegal tint (a tint dark enough to hide the driver would certainly not be legal). Further, a job is lousy justification for speeding tickets. You're supposed to keep your current address on file with the DMV for exactly this sort of reason. The premise that cops have to drive the speed limit while trying to apprehend criminals is laughable.

DWLS is a crime, you would be advised to at least consult with an attorney.

CdwJava

Can he just run my tag cuz i drove by him?
Yes.

plus he had to speed to catch me once the tag came back about my license.
The police can do that from time to time when attempting to catch suspected violators.

This is not the end of the world. Get your license cleared up, show the court you've taken care of it, and hope for minimal fines.

Oh, and don't blame your job for the points on your license. The job may require driving, but I doubt they encourage violating the traffic laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">