• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qualifying for Restitution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dazergman

I live in Florida. A few years ago a man scammed me (and alot of other people) out of alot of money. I never hired a lawyer or anything. But recently I found out that he pled guilty to "Attempt and conspiracy fraud". His sentencing is coming up in September.

I want to make sure I qualify for any chance of restitution. So, I signed up for the "US Department of Justice Victim Notification System" for this case. Is this all I need to do to qualify for restitution?

I received an email from the US Probation Office stating...

Whether or not you elect to attend the sentencing proceeding, you have the right to file an affidavit relating the harms and costs you have incurred as a result of the above offense. A declaration form, which has the same legal effect as an affidavit but which need not be notarized, is enclosed for your use. It may be helpful to review the attached Explanation of Losses Subject to Restitution before completing the declaration. If you wish to exercise your right to submit an affidavit, please return the signed declaration to the U.S. Probation Office. I will submit it to the Court on your behalf, but in order to ensure timely submission to the court, I would need to receive the declaration, or any letter you wish to submit, by August 06, 2010.
Is filing an affidavit or declaration form necessary or optional to qualify for restitution? Who do I have to send my evidence (contracts, checks, etc) to in order to let the courts know officially how much I'm owed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">