• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lonewolf2488

Ex-boyfriend wrote checks out of my checkbook. He signed my name to them? He also knew that there was no money in that account to pay for them. He told me he did it? So when the people he wrote the checks out to sent me a note saying to pay them the money or they will take me to court, I paid them the money. I also have those checks.
So my question is "can I still turn him in after it being about 5 months ago? and what will happen to him if I do.?" I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this, Thank You!

R

Ray H

If your account is accurate, your ex-boyfriend committed forgery. You can turn him in. You'll need evidence of signature differences (some of your returned checks with your forged name on them, *and something with his normal signature on it would really help point an incriminating finger in his direction.*). Even if the guy tried to mimic your signature, there's a good chance that a handwriting analysis expert could certify it wasn't really YOUR signature in court. (Prosecutors love to parade expert witnesses through the witness box just as much as defense attorneys do.) What will happen to him if he's convicted? Probably jail time. The amount would be determined by your state's sentencing code, sentencing recommendations by the prosecutor's office, and, to some degree, what kind of mood the judge is in.

This is general advice, NOT legal advice. I am NOT a lawyer. You are NOT my client.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">