• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anonymous408

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

Okay, look. I know what we did was stupid, and im not asking about any opinions. I just want to know the legal implications. We found a debit card, and decided to try it out. We filled my car with gas, and it really worked. we just slid the card and it worked.

A quick visual check of the gas station showed there were no cameras, would a pretty low budget gas station in a low crime area really invest in very hidden cameras?

What type of penalties would we be looking at if we were caught? a few minutes after we did it i realized how stupid we were being, and i threw the card away. any responses would be great

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

anonymous408 said:

Okay, look. I know what we did was stupid, and im not asking about any opinions. I just want to know the legal implications. We found a debit card, and decided to try it out. We filled my car with gas, and it really worked. we just slid the card and it worked.

A quick visual check of the gas station showed there were no cameras, would a pretty low budget gas station in a low crime area really invest in very hidden cameras?

What type of penalties would we be looking at if we were caught? a few minutes after we did it i realized how stupid we were being, and i threw the card away. any responses would be great

My response:

If we were to tell you, that would take all the fun out of it when you get caught!

We always like to keep our criminal writers guessing. Paranoia strikes deep.

IAAL

splib

stupid

Well, at best you are not to worry of any felony charges but if you entered a pin # and the money was taken from a bank then the FBI will only be involved, then you will prolly just spend the next 5-10 in club fed for 20 bucks worth of gas. :rolleyes:

Veronica1228

splib said:
Well, at best you are not to worry of any felony charges but if you entered a pin # and the money was taken from a bank then the FBI will only be involved, then you will prolly just spend the next 5-10 in club fed for 20 bucks worth of gas. :rolleyes:
Do you even know what you are talking about? It makes no difference if he used the PIN or not. Identity Theft is always a felony. :rolleyes:

Shay-Pari'e

anonymous408 said:
what about if im a minor (16)

and does anyone have any comment on the chance of there being a camera
Dude, this is a legal advice site. I understand why you found it, but what you are asking is how to get out of a crime you did. Most here will not help you with that., unless they have lived in the system themselves.
There are a few who post around here that are in the same boat, so I'm sure they will respond.

ldkirby

Ummm, no. If one finds a card that has does not bear their name, then they are knowingly stealing from that person.

And, by the way, while you are discussing what should and should not occur on this board, you should probably (not prolly), get your language straightened up.

Shay-Pari'e

dick cheese said:
i want to aplogize for the increasing amount of dumbass responses.....a guy asks a question and all of you neo conservative cock suckers reply with stupid and redundant replies.....i thought this board was to help people not berate them.

to answer your question, if caught, you will prolly get probation, and comm service. im not sure, but if you "found" it truthfully, then tech. you didnt steal it so, they cannot charge you with theft. i might be incorrect, but finding something doesnt seem to be the same as theft.

fyi, $500 or more is when they start to look into dubious activities
I was right. A criminal responded. :rolleyes:

bigbarkingdog

anonymous408 said:

Ill give you credit for realising you were being stupid. I find it a shame that people bash you for admitting you made a mistake and realised it.

Chances are the charge wouldnt be contested for a few days. Most likely any video cameras around would have been long filmed over by that time. They are more for drive offs and robberys where immediate footage is needed.

Its good that you realise it was stupid. But its up to you to make stronger moral decisions in the future. Stealing is more then just having to worry about getting caught. Its also about being a decent person or not. Stealing is just immoral as hell. Keep yourself straight and out of trouble and youll be ok. Last thing you want to be is like that guy on these boards who cant get a job in his chosen field because of some stupid mistakes in the past.

michsisu

what about if im a minor (16)

and does anyone have any comment on the chance of there being a camera
Hmmm...that all depends if you were in the Upper Peninsula or the Lower Peninsula....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">