• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about an arrest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Juzam139

I live in Delaware. Last night I was arrested for kicking a trash can over that was in the sidewalk. I proceeded to pick it up (nothing was in the trash can) and put it back up. The officer then proceeded to arrest me for disorderly conduct. The citation says: for Public Inconvenience and alarm to wit; observed kicking trash can over. That's exactly what it says. Is there any way I can beat this? I mean getting arrested for kicking the trash can over?

Oh and I know the people who's trash can I kicked over. Can that make a difference saying that it's an inside joke I do with them (knocking over their trash can)? I did not kick over any other trash can, just theirs. PLEASE HELP!!!:confused:

J

Juzam139

I have no prior history with the police. I have one speeding ticket and that's it.

M

momof3kiddos

Good grief! Now I've heard it all. My brother is a cop so I do have respect for them, but this is so ridiculous! I can't believe that he did not have anything better to do than to write you a ticket for kicking over a trash can! Unbelievable.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Under normal circumstances, I would agree that an infraction for kicking a trashcan would be "unbelievable." However, we are talking about Delaware, and kicking over a trashcan can be a Federal offense. You see, Delaware is such a teeny, tiny, minuscule State that kicking a trashcan, for any distance, is bound to cause the trashcan to cross State lines.

So, it's a "good" bust.

IAAL

K

knotcops

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

You see, Delaware is such a teeny, tiny, minuscule State that kicking a trashcan, for any distance, is bound to cause the trashcan to cross State lines.
IAAL
IAAL, your a crack up!:D :D :D

J

Juzam139

Well I live in a college town so the cops here are abundant and really have nothing better to do. 5 cop cars showed up on the scene because of me kicking a trash can, that's how bad it is.

HomeGuru

Juzam139 said:
Well I live in a college town so the cops here are abundant and really have nothing better to do. 5 cop cars showed up on the scene because of me kicking a trash can, that's how bad it is.
**A: knowing that, it makes perfect sense then to conduct yourself in a reasonable manner in public especially when around cops and their trash cans.

J

Juzam139

It was about 1:30AM in the morning, right after the bars let out here in Newark (bars letting people out at 1PM).

J

Juzam139

Yeah, the inside joke being that we always play small pranks on each other. My dry erase board hanging on my door was taken. I assumed right away that my friend had taken it and sure enough later I found out she did. It's one more prank in a long line of them that we have. Sounds stupid, I know but it's nothing major and keeps things more alive.

HomeGuru

The kick the can game is officially over.
Our next game will be kick the bucket.
Who will be first to kick the bucket?

stephenk

the fact that you kicked it over and caused a racket at 1:30 a.m. makes the ticket more appropriate than if you had done the deed at 1:30 p.m.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">