• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about assault

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mci88

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Last year when I was living in Orange County, NY, I was chased down and beaten in a public park by someone I knew in the town after he and I had a verbal confrontation. I was with friends who witnessed it happening. It was one of the most humiliating events in my life, and I still feel affected by it.

I'd like to report the crime, but I'm reluctant to. Last year I briefly sold marijuana in small amounts, and I think that my attacker would tell the police if I tried to press charges. Since that time I've stopped using drugs entirely.

What is the likelihood that I would be charged with a crime if he told the police that I sold marijuana? What is the statute of limitations -- did I wait too long to report the assault? Is there enough evidence for my case to be taken seriously, and what could possible outcomes be?

Your help in this is greatly appreciated.

Tallrat

Unless he has you on video tape selling weed it's doesn't mean much. Just make sure you have no drugs on your person, home or car. Just curious, why didnt friends help? I don't let strangers get beaten, let alone friends. Heck, I'd even defend my ex, lol.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">