• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about discreditation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pewosz

I am sorry if this is a wrong place to ask, but I did not find anything more fitting for this topic.
I want to ask two questions:

1. Is unjustified discreditation attempt a crime? (For example making a false anonymous denunciation and preparing false proofs against somebody in order to discredit his position or even make this innocent person go to prison) If yes - how many years in prison can be set as a penalty for this, and what is the official name for this crime? (I am not a native English speaker)

2. Is pushing somebody to discredit another person is a crime in this instance? (and what is the official name for this crime if it is one)

I am sorry for my poor language as I am not a native English speaker and also hope for a quick answer. :)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I never heard of the crime of "discreditation".

You completely ignored the question asking what state you're in when you posted. Without that information no one can even attempt to answer your question.

Pewosz

I'm really sorry, I'm new to that forum. I am asking about the Maine state.

I don't know how to say 'discrediting' in other words, because I don't live in US, but I need to know this information.

I am talking about the act in which a person gathers false proofs, submits a false denunciation in order to lower credibility (e.g. of an innocent advocate) or to make him go to prison.

Just Blue

I don't know how to say 'discrediting' in other words, because I don't live in US, but I need to know this information.

I am talking about the act in which a person gathers false proofs, submits a false denunciation in order to lower credibility (e.g. of an innocent advocate) or to make him go to prison.
FreeAdvice does not do homework.

single317dad

Defamation?

quincy

Pewosz, does this concern an act that occurred in Maine? How does it involve you in Poland?

To discredit a person can be to impair the credibility of a person or IMPEACH (dispute, disparage, call into question) the truthfulness of the person, and this can be done in various ways (often through the use of the person's own previous statements).

In court hearings, there is often an attempt to discredit the testimony of a witness. And it is possible for a person to be jailed for lying in court (committing perjury). It is also possible for a person to be jailed on false proofs presented as evidence against him.

You can look to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 32(a)(1) and the Federal Evidence Rule 607, perhaps, for more information.

As to how many years a person could go to prison for - well, law is fact-dependent. Without specific facts, it is impossible to provide specific answers.

Pewosz

Yes, thank you, I meant defamation.

So now I'll transform my question:

Is defamation in shape of false accusing of drug smuggling and preparing false evidence to prove the guilt of an innocent person a crime in Maine?
If yes - how much years in prison can this person get?

(I need this precise information in my crime story, I'm sorry if this is too trivial, but I did not succeed to find any details about this topic anywhere)

quincy

Yes, thank you, I meant defamation.

So now I'll transform my question:

Is defamation in shape of false accusing of drug smuggling and preparing false evidence to prove the guilt of an innocent person a crime in Maine?
If yes - how much years in prison can this person get?

(I need this precise information in my crime story, I'm sorry if this is too trivial, but I did not succeed to find any details about this topic anywhere)
Defamation is not a crime in most states (including Maine) in the US. It is a civil matter. One who has been defamed can sue his defamer for economic losses and demonstrable reputational injury.

On this forum we generally do not answer hypothetical questions, assist with homework or help authors with their stories.

quincy

As a writing tip for Pewosz:

It is generally smartest to write about what you know. Research can be important when writing but, because your understanding of the laws in the US seems exceptionally weak, it might be best to write about a crime that occurs in Poland.

Good luck with your story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">