• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about possible mail fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dcm19

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hello. I had a question about the ramnifications of letting the authorities know of crimes my ex-roommate commited. The roommate was selling movie posters on Ebay with actors signatures that he forged. He passed them off as legitimately signed and even threw in a "certificate of authenticity" that he created to further sell them. He made at least a few thousand dollars doing this because each poster sold for $100-$500. He even tried to convince me into doing this as well several times. My questions are:

1. I didn't want to turn him in, initially, because I was dependant on his half of the bills and couldn't find a replacement for him. Would I be held accountable for knowing this was going on and not saying anything?

2. I suspect all of this constitutes mail fraud because he was using a carrier to defraud others. Am I correct? What exactly would he be considered guilty of?

3. I have tried to find as much supporting evidence as I can but he hasn't left much of a trail behind. I'm sure Ebay and Paypal have all the transaction records. How likely do you think it would be that this case would even be pursued?

Thanks in advance.

S

seniorjudge

"...I didn't want to turn him in, initially, because I was dependant on his half of the bills and couldn't find a replacement for him...."

Keep your mouth shut and pretend you never made this post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">