• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about retail theft charge...please help!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dth3dogg

What is the name of your state? Utah.

Last Wednesday I was involved in a mix-up at a campus bookstore. It was about 12:45, and I was getting a sandwhich, chips, and a candy bar, the value of which totaled about $3.75. I had a few extra minutes before work and the line in the area where I picked up the sandwhich was long. You can pay anywhere, so I decided to pay at a different register, particularly one near the magazines. I stopped to browse in the books for a short time, and then I mistakenly left the bookstore without paying. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I just forgot to pay. I had a lot on my mind, between mid-terms, graduation, trying to find a job, and having our first child. In fact, the day before, my wife and I heard our child's heartbeat for the first time.

As soon as I walked out the door, a young woman employed by the bookstore stopped me and asked me to go with her to the manager's office. I did so willingly, explaining that I simply forgot, and that I was quite embarrassed for being careless. While there, an officer came and wrote up a report and scheduled a court date for me, March 18. I have been charged with misdemeanor retail theft. In the report he included the fact that I was in no way trying to conceal the sandwhich, chips, and candy. I was carrying them in my left hand. He also noted that I had sufficient funds, about $4 to pay for the food.

The officer and manager both understood and believed me, but the officer said I had to go to court to resolve this. I have never been involved in such an incident, and I truthfully can say that I just unintentionally left without paying. I know there is no way for anyone to tell if I am being truthful or not, but I can only give my word that I am being truthful.

As you know, I was not trying to conceal anything, and I had the means to pay. My question to you is how I should plead. I don't want to plead guilty, because I am not, but I also don't want to plead not guilty and have this drag on for a while, since my wife and I plan to move to Michigan at the beginnning of May to be closer to family during her pregnancy. My question is, what would likely be the result if I were to plead no consent? Or what do you think I should do?

Z

zappy

First thing that comes to mind,is to realize you are scatterbrained, and unless you can control this aspect of your life, your grades will suffer as well.

B

bones774

As soon as I saw the length of your statement and the first few lines I knew you were full of crap. Too much story, just like everybody when they get arrested kinda like "me thinks you protest too much"

HomeGuru

dth3dogg said:
What is the name of your state? Utah.

Last Wednesday I was involved in a mix-up at a campus bookstore. It was about 12:45, and I was getting a sandwhich, chips, and a candy bar, the value of which totaled about $3.75. I had a few extra minutes before work and the line in the area where I picked up the sandwhich was long. You can pay anywhere, so I decided to pay at a different register, particularly one near the magazines. I stopped to browse in the books for a short time, and then I mistakenly left the bookstore without paying. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I just forgot to pay. I had a lot on my mind, between mid-terms, graduation, trying to find a job, and having our first child. In fact, the day before, my wife and I heard our child's heartbeat for the first time.

As soon as I walked out the door, a young woman employed by the bookstore stopped me and asked me to go with her to the manager's office. I did so willingly, explaining that I simply forgot, and that I was quite embarrassed for being careless. While there, an officer came and wrote up a report and scheduled a court date for me, March 18. I have been charged with misdemeanor retail theft. In the report he included the fact that I was in no way trying to conceal the sandwhich, chips, and candy. I was carrying them in my left hand. He also noted that I had sufficient funds, about $4 to pay for the food.

The officer and manager both understood and believed me, but the officer said I had to go to court to resolve this. I have never been involved in such an incident, and I truthfully can say that I just unintentionally left without paying. I know there is no way for anyone to tell if I am being truthful or not, but I can only give my word that I am being truthful.

As you know, I was not trying to conceal anything, and I had the means to pay. My question to you is how I should plead. I don't want to plead guilty, because I am not, but I also don't want to plead not guilty and have this drag on for a while, since my wife and I plan to move to Michigan at the beginnning of May to be closer to family during her pregnancy. My question is, what would likely be the result if I were to plead no consent? Or what do you think I should do?

**A: you cannot plead no consent.

D

dth3dogg

hmmm....

I was just trying to give the details.

And I meant no contest, not no consent.

L

LegalBeagle7000

Don't listen to these people who have replied to you so far. They are obviously here to discourage you and not help you. I suggest that since you say this is your first offense you should get together about $200.00 and hire an attorney. He should be able to have this either thrown out of court or have you released on a suspended sentence as long as you do not get into any trouble within a period of time which the court will determine. Most cases such as this can be resolved in one of these two manners as long as it was a first offense if you did it intentionally or not.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the baby.:)

D

dth3dogg

Thank you

Wow, that's a relief. Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it, and hopefully I can resolve this quickly. $200 or so is worth it just to make sure I don't have anything on my record.

L

LegalBeagle7000

Good luck. It should be like a walk in the park. Don't get yourself down, we all make mistakes once in a while. And to all of you out there that think this is your own personnal forum to lash out at people instead of helping them as this site was designed, grow up. You to may need help someday, I hope you find this as difficult as you have made it for this young man as well as many others, I am sure, when your time comes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">