• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strikemuffin

I'm from Maine.
21 years old with no record in the past. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what type of punishment I may be looking at for the theft of about $10 worth of food. I took it because I had lost my wallet if that's worth mentioning. I have a court summons and was wondering what I could be looking at. Thanks for any input.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The reason why you took is doesn't matter quite frankly. If you are found guilty you can face time in jail and probation, fines and community service.

strikemuffin

I could face jail time for this? Really? I was under the impression that I would likely get a fine and MAYBE probation but more than likely no jail time. Thanks though.. anyone else?

strikemuffin

Well I guess I should correct myself; I know I COULD face jail time for a theft, and I know no one can predict what the court will do, but jail time would be unlikely considering what was taken I had assumed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">