• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about truancy, and other things...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CrAzY_WhItEbOy

What state do you live in? Virginia

I'm a 15 y/o male living at home with my parents. I'm under a great deal of stress from my parents and, despite psychiatric hospitalization and counseling, the stress only gets greater and I only get worse. Legally I could never be emancipated and my parents wouldn't let me live with anyone else, so that leaves me with two options; staying, or going. For a few months, going has sounded like the better choice.

I know (since undoubtedly most people are adults on here) that many of you might try to talk me out of it. Please don't. I'm still thinking.

Anyways, I like to know what I'm getting myself in to whenever I do something I'm not supposed to. This is no different. Does anyone know what crimes come along with running away from home? All I know of is truancy, but I'm sure there must be more. I'd also like to know the possible penalties that come with these crimes.

Also, I'm not sure I'm correct, but isn't a "statute of limitations" a time period afte you commit a certain crime that, once passed, says you cannot be charged? If not, set me straight, but if so, anyone know where I could find what the statute of limitations are for the crimes that come with running away?

Thanks for your help.

The crazy white boy.

O

oberauerdorf

Before I start a dialogue with you I want to know WHY you think living with your parents is causing you so much stress?

C

CrAzY_WhItEbOy

It's the stress coming from them. It's a long story, I'd rather not get into it.

O

oberauerdorf

Well, that's your right. And it's also my right not to discuss anything with someone who can't be honest.

C

CrAzY_WhItEbOy

Who says I can't be honest? I just don't think it's any of your business about the stresses that I am under at home.

Son of Slam

"I'd also like to know the possible penalties that come with these crimes."

When I was 17, I was convicted in the Beverly Hills court of "living an idle and desolate life." Look at me now, on a respected web site giving legal advice to whomever is dumb enough to take it.

kat1963

Once you are caught your parents can petition the courts to have you made a ward of the state. At which time you will either be placed into a therapeutic foster home, state run facility for problem youth (think you have problems now?) or a state run psychiatric hospital until you are 18 years old (IF the judge decides to let you out). It depends on your behavior of course, once you are in the system, they do like to make sure you aren’t a danger to society before you are released. In VA, as you know, the educational age is 18 (or graduation) so there is almost no way of getting out of classes.
But listen, you don’t want to wreck the rest of your life because you aren’t getting along with your parents. I grew a now 20 year old, between 15 & 16 he hated my guts but it all worked out. I had to do tough love, it killed me but I did it. Your parents have to keep pushing in order to help you become a productive young adult. Trust me, I’m sure they aren’t enjoying this any more then you are. If school is part of the problem then you need to speak to your guidance counselor about placement next year into the GED program that is available. If you feel you need to get away for a while then there are camps your parents can send you to. Here is one that is free to parents: http://www.calfarley.org/boysranch/cfbr.html not sure if this one is free or very low cost http://www.eaglerockschool.org/ also look into Job Corp for when you turn 16 and also the National Guard has a Challenge program you might be interested in. You & your parents will have to review these programs to see if you qualify. I have no affiliation nor have used any of them.
Good Luck!
KAT

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Excessive use of drugs is one way of "leaving home" without really leaving home! Since you're a Crazy White Boy, you may as well start using Meth just like your neighbors, and the rest of the citizens of your State.

They're all whacky anyhow.

IAAL

J

justcurious64

Re: I AM ALWAYS LIABLE'S REPLY

you stated about people in Virginia "They are all Whacky"
My question to you? Spent much time with people in Virginia have you? Just curious how you know all people in Virginia are whacky? Are you from there?

C

CrAzY_WhItEbOy

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Since you're a Crazy White Boy, you may as well start using Meth just like your neighbors, and the rest of the citizens of your State.IAAL
I take offense to that, lol.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">