• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Concerning Property Destruction/Roommate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebenji87

Hi, all! In Tennessee here. In January, I moved into a townhouse with my best friend, my brother and his wife. Shortly after, my friend and I realized what a huge mistake moving in with the other roommates was. They were filthy, loud and did not pay any bills on time.

As time went on, the situation escalated to the point that my friend and I were almost constantly arguing with my brother. Long story short, we were finally able to get them to agree to move out. They stayed all of this month and did not pay their part of the rent or water, trashed their part of the house and left us stuck with $300 in late fees.

Last night, they came by to get the last of their belongings when my brother and I started arguing. He and his wife had a living room suite and two flat-screen TVs that were on rent from a rent-to-own store and was scheduled to pick it up today because of my brother's non-payment. Our argument escalated to the point of me snapping and in a blind rage, punching one of the TVs as hard as I could, busting the screen to pieces and ruining it.

The rent-to-own company has told him that since the furniture and TVs are in his name, he is responsible for it. But he is threatening me non-stop and saying that he is going to have a warrant issued for my arrest for property destruction. Is this a possibility?

The TV had a balance of around $700, but my brother and his wife owe my friend and I the $400 in rent, $300 in late fees and not to mention the extensive damage to the house that my friend and I are left with to repair. The way I see it, it works out about even. What options do I have? I just don't want a warrant to be issued. Thank you for any help!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">