• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onmymind

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New York

I have posted on here before but forgot to ask some questions. This is my situation.

I was caught shoplifting a $40 item. The police were called and I had to sign 2 papers, one saying im not coming back in the store and one saying i admit to stealing. I recieved a ticket or summons for a field apperance. I am a 19 year old first time offendor and it was written down as a misdemeanor petit larceny. My following questions are:

I searched online everywhere because I wanted to know in NY what is the limit of restitution the store can try and get from me? And how much can the court ask for? I heard it was 3 times the amount for the store and 5 times the amount for court. However I have no idea if this is true. I also wanted to know if I should speak to a lawyer? Im pleading guilty but I want to try and get this off my record, is this something i ask the judge when im there or is this something i need to speak to a lawyer about? Thanks for anyones help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">