• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about federal law procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clarke4512

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

PA

I have been to questioning over a crime i commited where mail was stolen out of a mailbox to obtain a credit card where 850 dollars were spent, i had allready been identified on surveilance camera's so there was no way to talk my way out and i cannot afford an attorney. If the cops are aware that i had a credit card and a 5200 dollar check that had attempted to be forged and cashed but never went through that was taken out of a mailbox is it proper procedure to take that to federal court? The cop told me my charges should be out by the end of this week but didn't tell me what they would be. Any help would be nice, thank you.

tranquility

It depends on many other facts which you haven't given like where was the mailbox? Where did you use the card? How far did you get with the check? Many others as well. At the least I'd guess a felony for the theft of mail, felony for the use of the credit card in that amount (if used once), a felony for each time you entered a structure to do any of the illegal acts, a felony for the attempted forgery. At least three felonies. Assorted others too--depending.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

PA

I have been to questioning over a crime i commited where mail was stolen out of a mailbox to obtain a credit card where 850 dollars were spent, i had allready been identified on surveilance camera's so there was no way to talk my way out and i cannot afford an attorney. If the cops are aware that i had a credit card and a 5200 dollar check that had attempted to be forged and cashed but never went through that was taken out of a mailbox is it proper procedure to take that to federal court? The cop told me my charges should be out by the end of this week but didn't tell me what they would be. Any help would be nice, thank you.

Since you have no control over state v. federal charges I would just suggest you wait and see.

Stealing from mailboxes? IDed on survellance tapes? Cannot afford a lawyer? That's 3 strikes, not looking good.

But have no fear! If you cannot afford a lawyer, one will be assigned. Depending on your background (and I don't think you are a career criminal,yet) a lawyer might be able to plead it down to 1 felony with little of no jail time ; who knows, anything is possible.

Good luck & go straight .. you could be making a worthwhile contribution to society.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">