• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about husband's federal charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious_me

What is the name of your state? North Dakota

My husband has been charged with Convicted Felon in Possession of a Firearm. They are charging him on the federal level, not state. I guess I'm just wondering what is going to happen. Will he be able to get a court appointed lawyer? If he is convicted, does he automatically go to a federal prison, or could he stay in the state prison? (He is already in prison for drug charges.) I read somewhere that the federal sentencing is done with a formula - how does that work? He's been in prison about 4 times now - the first two times where for theft charges, and these last two times where drug charges. I know the most time he can get for this is 15 years, and he thinks he'll probably get at least 10 years. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">