• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions about theft at restaurant??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quickandeasy??

What is the name of your state? IL

I am the manager of a restaurant. In my restaurant there is 1 owner (10%) and 3 managers (including myself) that have access to the safe.
Recently some deposits have come up missing. When a day ends we make 1 cash deposit and it gets put into our safe. Normaly we go to the bank every day but we switched banks and for a few months the deposits would sit there until someone (usualy myself or the owner) could go to the bank. We put the deposit slips into a 31 day file (expanding type).
I know that I didn't do it, but the owner doesn't know who to blame. He said that the police will be here tomorrow to talk to everyone.
My personal opinion is that the owner himself took the deposits and is letting the blame fall on all of us. He has said that next week we are going in for lie detector tests.
I am pretty sure that I have proof of one instance of him taking money. Should I give this to the majority owner?? I don't want to make myself look guilty by passing the blame. 8 years ago I messed up my life by stealing from a place I worked for...a fact that both partners know.
Sorry for the ramble but here are my questions?

1. Should I get a lawyer for tomorrow (if the cops come) even though I know i am not guilty...I don't want to make myself look guilty.

2. Should I let the majority owner know of the evidence I have?

3. Should I submitt to the lie detector test next week if there is one?

I appreciate any responses...expcialy quick ones....that I can get.
Thanks

stephenk

1. if you want to, but not really necessary if you didn't steal the deposits;
2. for sure you should inform him;
3. consult with an attorney and provide all of the information you know. then you and the attorney decide if you want to undergo the lie detector test.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">