• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quilty until proven innocent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cupcakes2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

I worked for this company for 20 years I was a manager. In December of 2007, I decided I was going to apply to nursing school (after my brother passed away because I thought life was too short not to fulfil my dreams). I started to apply for nursing school at the beginning of 2008, didn't get in, May of 2008 the company I worked for accused me of taking under $200 in a 3 month period, I was fired on the spot, they wouldn't let me defend myself, they didn't care if I was innocent or not. That same year I decided to go to school to be a CNA to help with my chances of getting into nursing school. I applied to another school waas picked to be alternate number 6, not too many people quit the program. I worked for a nursing home, and finally got a job at my local hospital working for hospice. I reapplied at the first school, I finally got in started the program July of 2009. well 2 years later in May 2010 I was arrested for now stealing $931 dollars from the same company I was fired from and worked for over 20 years. I graduate from school in June 2010.
24th. They are charging me a felony (falsfying sccounts). I got a court appointed attorney, she said this case is going to be hard to prove, My word against theirs. GREAT. She told to waive the preliminary hearing, which i did because I'm not a lawyer. Showed up for the preliminary hearing, no witness or nothing. My lawyer told me she talked to the DA, they can kick it down to a misdemeanor and no probation and pay the money back. I won't be able to sit for my state nursing test with a record. and they say you have to wait 3 years to get this expunged off your record. I'm not a young person I'm 45 years old. I've never had speeding ticket, or ever been arrested. I just can't prove that i'm innocent. My husband works the same company for over 20 years also(thats the kicker) HELP in West VirginiaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

Then you don't take the plea and defend yourself in court.

Of course, if you DID steal the money, you may not like the outcome.

cupcakes2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? West Virginia

I worked for this company for 20 years I was a manager. In December of 2007, I decided I was going to apply to nursing school (after my brother passed away because I thought life was too short not to fulfil my dreams). I started to apply for nursing school at the beginning of 2008, didn't get in, May of 2008 the company I worked for accused me of taking under $200 in a 3 month period, I was fired on the spot, they wouldn't let me defend myself, they didn't care if I was innocent or not. That same year I decided to go to school to be a CNA to help with my chances of getting into nursing school. I applied to another school waas picked to be alternate number 6, not too many people quit the program. I worked for a nursing home, and finally got a job at my local hospital working for hospice. I reapplied at the first school, I finally got in started the program July of 2009. well 2 years later in May 2010 I was arrested for now stealing $931 dollars from the same company I was fired from and worked for over 20 years. I graduate from school in June 2010.
24th. They are charging me a felony (falsfying sccounts). I got a court appointed attorney, she said this case is going to be hard to prove, My word against theirs. GREAT. She told to waive the preliminary hearing, which i did because I'm not a lawyer. Showed up for the preliminary hearing, no witness or nothing. My lawyer told me she talked to the DA, they can kick it down to a misdemeanor and no probation and pay the money back. I won't be able to sit for my state nursing test with a record. and they say you have to wait 3 years to get this expunged off your record. I'm not a young person I'm 45 years old. I've never had speeding ticket, or ever been arrested. I just can't prove that i'm innocent. My husband works the same company for over 20 years also(thats the kicker) HELP in West VirginiaWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I didn't steal the money-my lawyer said it would be hard to prove my word against theirs. but she afraid it might be worse on me going to trial. I graduate school June 24, 2010. I think in the medical field you can't have a record at all.

commentator

They must have something other than "their word" here. I find it real hard to believe that your attorney told you to bargain when you are 100%innocent and they have no proof at all other than saying you did it. Are you sure they don't have SOMETHING else? They're going to let you "pay the money back" but you didn't take it? You'd agree to this? I honestly think you should do what they say, pay the money back, and try to figure out something else to do until you can get this expunged. What do you think your alternative is? Going to trial without your attorney's support? How sure are you that you didn't take the money?

Last edited:

cupcakes2

I'm 100% sure that I didn't take any money-I've seen alot of money coming through that place since 1987. I also received a reward for being a good manager. I just don't think they want to waste time going to court. I'm in school, and at my age its hard to find a good job, if I'm going to have a record. Why wasn't the witnesses at the preliminary hearing-to argue their case? I was the only one there. I haven't seen any proof, my lawyer didn't show me a thing. Innocent people can get blamed for things they didn't do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">