• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ran a school bus stop sign - need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sam Rose

I live in Ohio, Highland county, and on the way back home today, on a two lane highway, I was behind a school bus. I wanted to pass the bus because they stop every block and it takes forever. So I waited until I got to where it was legal to pass and no cars were coming in the opposite direction, so I tried swooping around the bus. The problem is that the bus was stopping and before I could get past it the sign popped out. So I hit the brakes. I waited there, right beside the school bus (but still behind the sign) until the child boarded. And I couldn't back up and get behind the bus because there was a train of cars already behind the bus. So I am waiting for the driver to bring the stop sign back so I can go.

The driver doesn't do it. She just sits there for literally 30 seconds (at least) after the child boarded (and there were no more children to board - there was nothing but forest on the other side of the street). A car starts coming towards me and I start getting panicky (it was still a good 300 yards away). So I wait. The driver sticks her head out the window and starts giving me dirty looks. I motion to her that I need to go, but she just sits there scowling at me. I motion desperately like, "what's up, come on!" And it became obvious to me that she was doing this out of spite. A clear abuse of power. So another 30 seconds go by and the car coming in my direction was about 50 feet from getting to me. IF I HAD BEEN THINKING, I would have realized that the car had to stop, too. And once the sign retracted I could go. But I was rattled by the bus driver treating me like crap and the oncoming car. So after waiting to what I thought was the last second I very carefully pulled around and went.

I swear it happened just as I say. I thought about calling the ISD and complaining but I did run the sign and they might ticket me. What I am worried about is if I get a ticket in the mail (and the car is registered in my wife's name). This would be bad. I don't deserve this. I was being respectful and was caught in a bad situation and the bus driver was being a royal b***h. I am thinking about turning myself in myself but I don't know what to do.

Help please.

FlyingRon

Can the attitude and the profanity. Respectful, you don't sound the least bit respectful either to the bus driver or the contributors to this forum. You have nobody to blame but yourself. While it might have been nice if the driver had signalled you to proceed while she remained stopped for whatever reason, you don't know why she did this (perhaps there was another child expected, maybe she was just preoccupied with the students under her care). She did not do this to intentionally screw you.

It's possible you won't get a ticket at all. The driver who you inappropriately vilify may have given you a pass on this. If you (or your wife) do get cited, then write back and we can explain what to do next.

You can certainly complain to the ISD on the prolonged stop with the lights/sign out, but frankly, I suspect there was valid reason for this.

Sam Rose

Attitude and profanity? I am rattled by this. How about a little understanding? Try to realize that I am deeply upset by this and came here for help. I didn't come to be talked down to. Nothing in my post was indicative of an attitude on my part. In no way was I disrespectful except in one instance and only then it was because I was trying to relay the reality of how she was acting. I need help and advice not for you to make a mountain out of a molehill.

If anyone else can give me some helpful advice I would really appreciate it. I am wondering if I should go turn myself in or not. I got caught in a bad situation and it happened just as I say it did. I was trying to make a pass before the bus stopped but that sign came out and I braked to try and do the right thing. I could see the child board and I heard the door close. There were no other children, I assure you. The bus driver was scowling at me and giving me awful looks and I didn't deserve this at all. Yes, I panicked when the other car approached but even then I was careful.

The camera laws are there to stop people from being disrespectful and zooming past buses without caring. That is not what happened in my case. I am an honest person who follows the law and was caught in a bad situation.

I have waited behind many buses and never have I had it take this long. The bus driver was watching me the whole time, scowling and giving me dirty looks. How is that a valid reason? It's not. Period. I am talking about a good 30 seconds of defiant, rude, dirty looks. This is not a valid reason nor does it have anything to do with children. You weren't there. I was. It was obvious that she was offended by the fact that I was that close and primed to pass her. I am telling the honest truth. This bus driver deserves to be vilified. You say there were other children or a reason for this, but hear me out - her focus was on ME. Nothing else. I am not lying.

And I was not being disrespectful to the posters. Again, I am in need of genuine advice if anyone has a heart to give any.

Try to understand why I am upset. Good God.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Attitude and profanity? I am rattled by this. How about a little understanding? Try to realize that I am deeply upset by this and came here for help. I didn't come to be talked down to. Nothing in my post was indicative of an attitude on my part. In no way was I disrespectful except in one instance and only then it was because I was trying to relay the reality of how she was acting. I need help and advice not for you to make a mountain out of a molehill.

If anyone else can give me some advice I would really appreciate it. I got caught in a bad situation and it happened just as I say it did. I was trying to make a pass before the bus stopped but that sign came out before I could and I braked to try and do the right thing. I could see the child board and I heard the door close. There were no other children, I assure you. The bus driver was scowling at me and giving me awful looks and I didn't deserve this at all. Yes, I panicked when the other car approached but even then I was careful.

The camera laws are there to stop people from being disrespectful and zooming past buses without caring. That is not what happened in my case. I am an honest person who follows the law and was caught in a bad situation.
Wait and see.

Silverplum

Grow UP. Your unhappiness does NOT give you a "pass" at swearing at the people you're asking for help. Insulting the volunteers is out of line.

Sam Rose

Wait and see.
Wait and see what? If I get a ticket?

The advice I am wanting is how I should handle it. I don't want the ticket to be in my wife's name. I also think I might should go and report this to the sheriff's office and explain this to do the right thing.

I am not one for trouble. I stay out of trouble. This kind of thing has me deeply upset. I don't deserve this.

Silverplum

Wait and see what? If I get a ticket?

The advice I am wanting is how I should handle it. I don't want the ticket to be in my wife's name. I also think I might should go and report this to the sheriff's office and explain this to do the right thing.

I am not one for trouble. I stay out of trouble. This kind of thing has me deeply upset. I don't deserve this.
Please do. Please.

That would be awesome.

Sam Rose

Grow UP. Your unhappiness does NOT give you a "pass" at swearing at the people you're asking for help. Insulting the volunteers is out of line.
I am sorry if I offended anyone but I don't recall swearing at anyone. I really wish you guys wouldn't be so hateful to me because I honestly never intended any disrespect towards anyone, except maybe bus driver who disrespected me first - if you could have seen how she was acting your jaw would drop. I never saw anything like it.

In any case, I apologize if my original post seemed disrespectful but looking it over again I really don't understand how anything there can be construed as attacking members of the forum.

Nonetheless, I apologize if I offended anyone. I am very upset and certainly didn't intend to. I just feel badly and am at a loss. I came for help.

So I am sorry. I would appreciate it if you can understand my frustration.

Best regards.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am sorry if I offended anyone but I don't recall swearing at anyone. I really wish you guys wouldn't be so hateful to me because I honestly never intended any disrespect towards anyone, except maybe bus driver who disrespected me first...
The bus driver didn't disrespect you until you started acting like an impatient jerk. Kids don't just magically become seated and settled in because they've climbed the first step on to the bus. Take a breath, relax.

Sam Rose

I guess I can't blame people if they have the wrong idea of what happened. After all, you guys weren't there.

I wasn't being impatient at all. I was attempting to make a pass but could't get by before the stop sign came out. I was watching the road ahead very intently and thankfully no cars were coming. Once the child boarded and the door closed I expected the stop sign to go back (as it has done so many times before). But she pulled her window back and stuck her head out and started making hateful expressions towards me. She was offended that I was beside the bus instead of behind it. This is clear to me.

I didn't motion to her in an impatient manner until this went on for quite a while and a car was coming in the other direction. Where I went wrong was in not realizing that the car would also have to stop. I panicked, but even then I was careful just in case another child was nearby.

If you could have seen the bus drivers behavior you would understand. I can't make anyone believe me but I assure you that I've never seen anything like this. I promise I was not and am not a jerk. Just someone needing advice on what I should do

I apologize if I gave a wrong impression or offended anyone. Please forgive me guys.

Sam Rose

Please do. Please.

That would be awesome.
Awesome how? I realize most people wouldn't do this but I want to do the right thing. I don't consider it awesome. In truth I am scared but don't want my wife to get in trouble. We both have perfect driving records. I am rattled almost to the point of tears and don't know what I am going to do. I might take your advice and just get it over with. If there was a camera on the bus or if the bus driver got my plate it would be better if I am the one to go forward.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

If anyone else can give me some helpful advice I would really appreciate it. I am wondering if I should go turn myself in or not. I got caught in a bad situation and it happened just as I say it did. I was trying to make a pass before the bus stopped but that sign came out and I braked to try and do the right thing. I could see the child board and I heard the door close. There were no other children, I assure you. The bus driver was scowling at me and giving me awful looks and I didn't deserve this at all. Yes, I panicked when the other car approached but even then I was careful.

I have waited behind many buses and never have I had it take this long. The bus driver was watching me the whole time, scowling and giving me dirty looks. How is that a valid reason? It's not. Period. I am talking about a good 30 seconds of defiant, rude, dirty looks. This is not a valid reason nor does it have anything to do with children. You weren't there. I was. It was obvious that she was offended by the fact that I was that close and primed to pass her. I am telling the honest truth. This bus driver deserves to be vilified. You say there were other children or a reason for this, but hear me out - her focus was on ME. Nothing else. I am not lying.

And I was not being disrespectful to the posters. Again, I am in need of genuine advice if anyone has a heart to give any.

Try to understand why I am upset. Good God.
You were in a hurry and you didn't appreciate being held up so you tried to pass a school bus and then you got angry when the bus driver did their job and waited a few seconds after the child got on board for the child to get seated and to see if any other children were approaching. You then determined she was giving you DEFIANT looks -- hmmmm... She could only be defiant if she was in a lesser position than you. Using that word implies you think you were better than her. You aren't. The bus driver doesn't operate on your schedule. If you had had patience, then you would not have been in this situation. You didn't though. You were impatient, in a hurry and thus behaved badly. YOu deserve a ticket. The bus driver did nothing wrong.

Signed,
Me. (An Ohio attorney)

Proserpina

Awesome how? I realize most people wouldn't do this but I want to do the right thing. I don't consider it awesome. In truth I am scared but don't want my wife to get in trouble. We both have perfect driving records. I am rattled almost to the point of tears and don't know what I am going to do. I might take your advice and just get it over with. If there was a camera on the bus or if the bus driver got my plate it would be better if I am the one to go forward.
You did wrong. The bus driver did NOT do wrong.

I have no idea why you seem to think this is anybody's fault but your own; it's actually somewhat baffling to see an adult try so hard to blame someone else when it is clear that he is the one to blame.

Why the bus driver is getting the wrong end of your Angry Stick, I'll never know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">