• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

Falconbird

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My wife was living in Jamaica. In 1998 a so called friend came down to see her and he raped her. We were married in 1999 and she came to the states in 2000. We found out that the man lives in Atlanta. We are now looking for him. When we find him can my wife file suite in court for rape? How long do we have? Where would we have to file the petetion in?

racer72

The actions happened outside of US jursidiction. You cannot take any action in the US, you and your wife would have to go back to Jamaica. If the Jamaican authorities think the charge is serious enough, they could have the person extradited. The US does have an extradition treaty with Jamaica. Is rape a serious enough charge to warrant all the above? Probably not.

gowest

Racer72...

I hope you didn't really mean to say: "Is rape a serious enough charge to warrant all the above? Probably not."

racer72

Rape in general is a serious charge but is one from almost 5 years ago enough to warrant Jamaica to seek extradition? Again I say, probably not. The victim by now has no physical evidence. Was the rape reported back in 1998? The OP does not say.

What I should have stated, would Jamaica have enough evidence and would the police there spend what could be thousands of dollars to extradite the alledged rapist back to Jamaica? Probably not. Not in a country with one of worlds crookedest police forces and highest crime rates. Most murders and rapes in Jamaica never result in conviction, most don't even get investigated and arrests are not made. I wish there was something the victim could do in this case but the circumstances as prestented offer very little hope.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">