• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rape Case No Billed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sabin

What is the name of your state?

Texas

First off, I'd just like to say that in my past experience with people on this website, I have had a lot of immature, rude responses and I am not in the mood for that. If you can help me, great, if not...please just skip this.

With that being said, I'm not sure if this is the right category for my post.

When I was 15 (January 2003) I was raped by an acuaintance, who was 18 (but, we were 2 years and 10 months apart). After it occured, I told my mom and I went to my gynocologist and had a pelvic exam and I told the doctor I had been raped. I was in so much shock, and so scared that I didn't want to press charges yet. I begged my mom not to, but she made a 3rd party statement about a month after it had happened. I was so afraid and embarassed to tell the police, but in September 2004, I told the detective/police that had my case on file. He took my statement and medical record, and then within the next week he spoke to the guy who raped me (Jeff). Jeff was videotaped, and kept getting nervous, and then told the police he wanted a lawyer and left. The police sent in all the information to press charges, and they finally sent it to the grand jury 2 months afterwards. So, once the grand jury had met, I called the DA's office to find out the status, and they told me it was no-billed and that there was nothing else I could do about it.
Is there ANYTHING I can do to appeal it??

Sabin said:
What is the name of your state?

Texas

First off, I'd just like to say that in my past experience with people on this website, I have had a lot of immature, rude responses and I am not in the mood for that. If you can help me, great, if not...please just skip this.

With that being said, I'm not sure if this is the right category for my post.

When I was 15 (January 2003) I was raped by an acuaintance, who was 18 (but, we were 2 years and 10 months apart). After it occured, I told my mom and I went to my gynocologist and had a pelvic exam and I told the doctor I had been raped. I was in so much shock, and so scared that I didn't want to press charges yet. I begged my mom not to, but she made a 3rd party statement about a month after it had happened. I was so afraid and embarassed to tell the police, but in September 2004, I told the detective/police that had my case on file. He took my statement and medical record, and then within the next week he spoke to the guy who raped me (Jeff). Jeff was videotaped, and kept getting nervous, and then told the police he wanted a lawyer and left. The police sent in all the information to press charges, and they finally sent it to the grand jury 2 months afterwards. So, once the grand jury had met, I called the DA's office to find out the status, and they told me it was no-billed and that there was nothing else I could do about it.
Is there ANYTHING I can do to appeal it??
January of 2005 would make our poster now 17 years old.

In speaking to your frustration. For whatever good that this will do. Understand that the function of a grand jury is to preview the evidence that the State has prior to prosecuting someone for a felony. As much as you must feel disapointed, this country's grand jury system is a thing of beauty. It is sat by common everyday humans. It is the State's job to sway the minds of non-legal minds of common everyday persons, that the State has enough evidence to prosecute someone for a violation of law. For whatever reasons, the grand jury found that the State did not have enough evidence to go forward with a prosecution. The grand jury did not tell you that it did not happen. The grand jury told the State that it felt the State did not have enough evidence to go forward with a prosecution. The only thing that can be done, in this instance, is come up with additional evidence.

S

seniorjudge

"...Is there ANYTHING I can do to appeal it??..."

Grand jury actions cannot be appealed.

If there is any way you can bring more evidence to the prosecutor, they may have a renewed interest in it.

No, I do not know what or how much more evidence to carry over to the prosecutor. You and Jeff are the only ones who know what really went on.

rmet4nzkx

I read your previous posts and this is the first time you make mention of a rape even though you were here asking questions about getting emancipated so you could live with your boyfriend, is this the same young man, or another. You even commented on another thread about rape. When did you see the doctor about your rape, did they do a rape kit? The fact that you are sexually active and in continuation high school and didn't report it in a timely manner makes you look less than credible and may be why the Grand Jury didn't find enough to prosecute. Just because you don't get your way doesn't make everyone mean or rude.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">