• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rapists have rape caught on tape, any legal recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wherever

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Arizona

A friend of mine was gang raped in April by four men, who videotaped their crime. Two of the four men raped her again outside her gym, and were put in jail for that crime. The other two got off because they couldn't prove the videotaped rape wasn't consensual (they used condoms, so there was no evidence, and no evidence that she said no). However, they are still in possession of a copy of the tape (apparently the copy the cops got was not the only one made) and have been showing it to people. My friend called the detective in her case and was told there's nothing they can do, that the tape wasn't copyrighted and she was over 18 at the time.

This doesn't seem right to me, she never consented for the tape to be made, isn't there some recourse for her criminally or civilly to stop these guys?

CdwJava

She can go to court and seek an injunction. The problem will be that if the videotaped incident cannot be determined to be rape, or that it was made without her knowledge, then there is likely very little that can be done.

I would encourage your friend to consult an attorney. There may be avenues she can pursue in the matter.

- Carl

wherever

Apparently there isn't sound, or enough sound on the tape, to determine that she was in fact saying no...which is why the other guys were let off. She never consented for the tape to be made and it was made without her knowledge (she only found out afterwards). It just seems like someone shouldn't be able to film you without your permission like that.

The two guys that got off have also been coming into her work and harassing her. I told her she should get an order of protection against them.

Thanks for the help...she knows someone who's wife is an attorney or something like that, so she might talk to her. Of course she's got like no money, so consulting with an attorney is tough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">