• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

really messed up post

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sherman33

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Well, here is what I got myself into. First off, I am 28 years old, married.

One day this summer I was bored, and decided to create a fake myspace.com profile, complete with fake pictures, location ect. I also opened a cell phone through Tracphone (prepaid no contract wireless).

Don't ask me why I did this, It was just sheer bordom and maybe since I felt bored in my marriage.

Anyway, I start talking to an 18 year old girl from Iowa. She "hits it off" with my fake person I created, and I give her the Tracphone number and we talk a few times.

We talk a few times and at this point she akes it clear she is attracted to me (or the person I created)

I play along, thinking this wont be a big deal. Its just internet flirting, and we will probably never meet up. or COULD NEVER meet up cause the person she is talking to is fake.

Well, I find out that this person is psycho. She was abused by her ex boyfriend of 5 years, and is currently pregnant with another guys baby.

She then tells me (posing as the fake myspace guy) that she is gonna kill herself when she finds out that she is having a miscarriage. I honestly believe her due to the way she was talking, and so I dont know what to do.

At this point, I obviously dont want her to kill herself. She makes it seem like there is NO ONE she can turn to. She didnt tell anyone of her pregnancy. Not even her mom.

She tells me she is at the hospital and is going to kill herself. I pretty much get scared at this point.

I feel better after she tells me that she is out of the hospital. But she is still depressed.

Well, after a few days of not talking to her, she instant messages me yesterday (12/20/06) saying she just got BACK OUT of the hospital for Overdosing on pain meds and alchohol.

She also left me a voice mail on the Tracphone number, and also tells me that she called me 10 times. (the phone remins shut off)

She then proceeds to tell me that she is hammered after drinking a bottle of Captain Morgan.

She then says she is going out to the bar to meet a friend.

I save this conversation on my computer.

She signs off and has not contacted me (or my fake myspace I posed as)

Well, I honestly think she may go out and Overdose/kill herself/ or already has done something like that.

Other then the obvious marital problems this may cause, did I commit any crimes by creating a fake person and phone number?

I never once egged her on to kill herself, and I have the saved conversation on the computer of her hammered on captain morgan and me telling her not to drive and do anything stupid.

I'm just concerned that when or if the police find her dead, they will find out she was talking to a fake person the whole time, although I was just trying to help keep her alive and she made it seem like she had no one else to talk to.

It just makes it seem like I may have something to do with her because I created a fake identity which she became attached to.

sherman33

you are right! I guess I REALLY dont know who i was talking too.

We never met, and all I got to know was her voice.

I guess anyone out there can play the role of "actor" and be whoever they wanted to be.

Anyway, obviously I halted all communication with her.

It just sucks that she is so suicidal.

Last edited:

sherman33

does anyone think i can get prosecuted, if she kills herself?

i may be overreacting, but if she turns up dead, and they check her call log, the police may try and contact the tracphone number i created.

again, i never have physically met this person, just corresponded with her online and via the phone. (me acting as the myspace person i created)

CdwJava

sherman33 said:
Well, I find out that this person is psycho.
Okay, YOU are making up a phony persona and getting a phone to talk to people in this phony persona and you call HER "psycho"? :rolleyes:

It sounds to me like you were trolling for the possibility of an affair ... but, that's between you, your wife, and God.

As for the rest of it ...

does anyone think i can get prosecuted, if she kills herself?
It would depend on the state she lives in and specifically what you told her. You might have broken a law, and you might not have. Chances are you didn't. But this is a good example of the bad that can come from playing games of pretend in the real world.

Of course, it's also possible that she was a phony persona as well.

- Carl

sherman33

Okay, YOU are making up a phony persona and getting a phone to talk to people in this phony persona and you call HER "psycho"? :rolleyes:

It sounds to me like you were trolling for the possibility of an affair ... but, that's between you, your wife, and God.

As for the rest of it ...

It would depend on the state she lives in and specifically what you told her. You might have broken a law, and you might not have. Chances are you didn't. But this is a good example of the bad that can come from playing games of pretend in the real world.

Of course, it's also possible that she was a phony persona as well.

- Carl
Thanks Carl...

Well, first off... she lives in Iowa. So she says. Her phone number had an Iowa area code.

And yes. obviously I need to fix my marriage and possibly get some counseling for the actions I have done as far as creating "fake person" with "real phone number" just so I can talk to people.

Again, I never said anything to the extent of "hey go kill yourself" or "that may be a good idea to OD on captain morgan".

I basically was an online/phone buddy that she told a lot of her problems to. Obviously, once our conversations went from everyday BS to "im suicidal" I couldnt just NOT talk to her. I didnt want her to like kill herself while we were on the phone or talking online.

So I know one thing for sure.

I never influenced her decisions on how she should go about her everyday life aka drinking heavily or whatever.

I was just a person she talked to, that happened to be fake.

The issue is that she had no one else to turn to (so it seemed when we talked) and if she did kill herself, her family members may look at her cell/computer and see who she has been talking to. Once or if that happens, its going to look pretty messed up that I made up all this crap.

I did save 2 conversations we had online, and both had statements in them about how suicidal she was, and how I pretty much had tried to get her to help herself.

If anything, this "fake persona" I created was trying to help her stay alive.

Last edited:

CdwJava

No matter how you cut it, you are a real person, she talked to you, and she might have taken what was said to heart. Words have an impact - sometimes not the impact that we intend them to. So, while this persona was just a put-on to you, it may well have been real to her ... and no matter how you cut it, you ARE real - not a phony persona.

- Carl

Seen it

I was aquainted with a person pretending to be someone else and funny as it sounds one of the person she talked to was fake as well! Now I can tell the story but its not important for now anyone wants to know can cotact me. Many many lives were ruined as a result of this deception. Marriages ended, relationships ended, children were left with only one parent, tears th elist goes on. Best thing I can tell you right now having seen the awful truth of these fake ID's is delete your myspace account and change tracphone number! then find your wife give her a hug and promise her your going to work this out! If shes real you cant save her if shes not I can tell you right now no good will come of this end it now!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">