• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receive or Acquire in law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

poisonvamp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

New Colorado Bill going into effect, trying to decipher this:

(b) AS USED IN THIS SECTION, UNLESS THE CONTEXT REQUIRES
OTHERWISE, "TRANSFEREE" MEANS A PERSON WHO DESIRES TO RECEIVE OR
ACQUIRE A FIREARM FROM A TRANSFEROR. IF A TRANSFEREE IS NOT A
NATURAL PERSON, THEN EACH NATURAL PERSON WHO IS AUTHORIZED BY
THE TRANSFEREE TO POSSESS THE FIREARM AFTER THE TRANSFER SHALL
UNDERGO A BACKGROUND CHECK, AS DESCRIBED IN PARAGRAPH (a) OF THIS
SUBSECTION (1), BEFORE TAKING POSSESSION OF THE FIREARM.

My concern is a person at home that is allowed to possess a firearm but the firearm is not theirs but they have access to it. I know constructive possession applies, but how would "receive or acquire" be interpreted?

FlyingRon

"If the transferee is not a person" means the transferee is some sort of corporation or similar entity. If an entity receives such a weapon, then all the people the corporation allows access to it need to comply with the background check.

If you're the transferee is a person, then none of this applies.

poisonvamp

That's what I thought for that part.

The part that I'm trying to figure out:

"PERSON WHO DESIRES TO RECEIVE OR ACQUIRE A FIREARM FROM A TRANSFEROR"

What does "RECEIVE OR ACQUIRE" translate to in legal terms. Does handing a firearm to someone satisfy the "receive or acquire" clause? Does having access to it satisfy the clause?

FlyingRon

Transfer possession means letting them have the gun. The statute exempts loans for less than 72 hours. So if I give you my gun to go hunting and you return it tomorrow, then no I don't have to do a background check. If I give it to you for a week, then I do.

No the background checks will not catch the wife or friends of a felon obtaining a weapon and then giving it to the felon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">