• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Received NSF check for loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

series2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Loaned a business associate money, with signed paperwork for the loan. He wrote me a check when our business relationship was over and the check subsequently bounced. He was notified by me and the bank and has not made good on the check, over 75K. I was planning on buying the business originally but as time went on it became apparent it would never happen. The new guy he brought in is supposedly buying the business, but it has dragged on for quite a while as had happened with me. Yes, I know the loan was not the right thing to do but it is done and I can't take back what is already done. I feel fool enough already, although other people have said they were also duped by the guy in other ways and I found out after the fact.

If he were to just pay back the money that would be the end of it. I'd like to send him a strong message but would rather not get involved in a lot of legal wrangling if at all possible.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Loaned a business associate money, with signed paperwork for the loan. He wrote me a check when our business relationship was over and the check subsequently bounced. He was notified by me and the bank and has not made good on the check, over 75K. I was planning on buying the business originally but as time went on it became apparent it would never happen. The new guy he brought in is supposedly buying the business, but it has dragged on for quite a while as had happened with me. Yes, I know the loan was not the right thing to do but it is done and I can't take back what is already done. I feel fool enough already, although other people have said they were also duped by the guy in other ways and I found out after the fact.

If he were to just pay back the money that would be the end of it. I'd like to send him a strong message but would rather not get involved in a lot of legal wrangling if at all possible.
Thank you for sharing. Did you have a question?

series2

I'd like to send him a strong message but would rather not get involved in a lot of legal wrangling if at all possible.
What would be a good way to really get his attention and make him move on the payment?

What are the legal ramifications of his writing that check knowing it would never be honored?

What is the statute of limitations on the dishonored check?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What would be a good way to really get his attention and make him move on the payment?

What are the legal ramifications of his writing that check knowing it would never be honored?

What is the statute of limitations on the dishonored check?
For 75k, hire an attorney. File a criminal complaint on the 75k check if HE KNEW it would not be honored.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">