• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

received "stolen" property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

darthfarious

I recently bought a laptop computer from a friend. He had bought it from Gateway at a price of around $1300. He told me that he had made all of the payments for it, and he was now in need of some money so he sold it to me for $550.

I later learned that he has not finished paying Gateway for the computer and that the credit card information he provided them is probably false. I don't think he has any way to pay it off now, so I don't know what will happen.

Do I have a "hot" computer here? Or is it mine to keep? I live in Tennessee so I am not sure what the laws specifically say about something like this. I intend on keeping this computer no matter what. I'm not going down without a fight. If the system rips me, would there be any way that I can be reimbursed for the $550 that I gave my ex-friend? Help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">