• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Receiving stolen property...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sfreeman111111

what is the charge for receiving stolen property as it relates to handicapped parking permits? I bought a handicapped parking permit from a guy( yes bad idea) he assured me it would check out with police and wasn't stolen. This wasn't true. Turns out it was stolen. I was using the tag a cop ran it, came back stolen. He said I could be charged with receiving stolen property which was a felony. Everything I've researched in ohio laws in regards to receiving stolen property says the degree of the severity of charges depends on value of items. These are like $5. Are there special laws that pertain to handicapped parking placards or would charges be based upon actual cash value? What kind of charges could one expect in theory?

Sorry I guess it didn't post :(

CdwJava

what is the charge for receiving stolen property as it relates to handicapped parking permits? I bought a handicapped parking permit from a guy( yes bad idea) he assured me it would check out with police and wasn't stolen. This wasn't true. Turns out it was stolen. I was using the tag a cop ran it, came back stolen. He said I could be charged with receiving stolen property which was a felony. Everything I've researched in ohio laws in regards to receiving stolen property says the degree of the severity of charges depends on value of items. These are like $5. Are there special laws that pertain to handicapped parking placards or would charges be based upon actual cash value? What kind of charges could one expect in theory?

Sorry I guess it didn't post :(
What state are you in, and what statute have you been charged with violating?

Unfortunately, no matter the fact set, you bought something you know you had no lawful right to use. Plus, since most states' possession of stolen property statutes involve knowing the item was stolen or that you reasonably should have known, it may take little effort to convince a jury or a court that you should reasonably have known you were receiving stolen or misappropriated property.

Time to speak with legal counsel.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">