• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recieving stolen property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kcbooker

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was involved in a business deal a few months back in which I sold a small business that I owned. As part of a downpayment I accepted a New Big Screen HD TV to go into my NEW business waiting area.

I also financed the deal for the purchase of my shop. The new owner defaulted on the payments right off the bat and I took the shop back over. He gave it back willingly.

I get a call a few days ago from a "Rent-to-own" Company stating that they had been given my phone number because I had the TV that was out on a RENT-TO-OWN program.

Here to find out (SUPPOSEDLY) the guy had rented this TV... exchanged it to me as a portion of his downpayment. Now the RENT-TO-OWN place is threatening me that this is going to their law department and I could be prosocuted for "Receiving stolen property".

I have it in the original contract that the TV was part of the downpayment so basicly I have a Receipt for it.

What should I do??? I have already lost out after having to RESTOCK my entire shop. The guy who bought it did not RESTOCK anything for 7 weeks he was in there. I had to take out a home equity loan just to restock.

NOW it is a matter of principle to me. NOT that I have got to keep the TV... but I have lost so much already. Besides it looks awsome in the lobby of my new offic :D

SO... what should I do??? HE MADE THE CONTRACT with them. I did not know it was a Rental. It also upset me quite a bit that they threatened me about the return of the TV.

PLEASE HELP!

panzertanker

kcbooker said:
SO... what should I do??? HE MADE THE CONTRACT with them. I did not know it was a Rental. It also upset me quite a bit that they threatened me about the return of the TV.

PLEASE HELP!
Have them show you proof of their ownership : matching serial numbers and a signed contract.
Give them back THEIR TV, and sue your buddy in small claims. It belongs to them if they can prove it. HE owes you, not them.

kcbooker

Have them show you proof of their ownership : matching serial numbers and a signed contract. Give them back THEIR TV, and sue your buddy in small claims. It belongs to them if they can prove it. HE owes you, not them.

I forgot to mention that "HE" the guy that screwed me also used ot work for this "RENT-TO-OWN" company and may be using this a s a scam to get the TV back. you know...get a buddy of his still at the company to say the tv WAS THEIRS.

I am not trying to be argumentitive with you... BUT you wrote "HE owes you, not them."
ACTUALLY wouldn't it be that HE OWES THEM because the contract to purchase was under his name...not mine? I have a reciept for it.

I know law is law and it is crazy some times... but how is this fair? :cool:

Thanks for your help!

panzertanker

kcbooker said:
Have them show you proof of their ownership : matching serial numbers and a signed contract. Give them back THEIR TV, and sue your buddy in small claims. It belongs to them if they can prove it. HE owes you, not them.

I forgot to mention that "HE" the guy that screwed me also used ot work for this "RENT-TO-OWN" company and may be using this a s a scam to get the TV back. you know...get a buddy of his still at the company to say the tv WAS THEIRS.

I am not trying to be argumentitive with you... BUT you wrote "HE owes you, not them."
ACTUALLY wouldn't it be that HE OWES THEM because the contract to purchase was under his name...not mine? I have a reciept for it.

I know law is law and it is crazy some times... but how is this fair? :cool:

Thanks for your help!
My quote "HE owes you, not them" means: The guy owes you for the TV, the company does not owe you for the TV. If they legally still own it, and can prove it, you MUST give it back to them and seek recourse from the guy.

Doesn't matter if you think he might be screwing you. If they have proof...then they have proof. Period.

Your reciept means a hill of beans. If there is a legal contract on that TV, then it was not his to give/sell to you. I can give you a reciept for the Brooklyn Bridge...BUT....it would be worthless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">