• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Conduct – Accidental Firearm Discharge... Need advice.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

Zoomie

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Just recently, my wife and I were charged with Reckless Conduct, a Class A Misdemeanor. My wife accidentally discharged a handgun I legally own as I was teaching her firearm safety. We reside in a condominium complex and the bullet went through the common wall in our bedroom, and exited out the bedroom wall of our neighbor. The bullet lodged inside her mattress as she was sleeping. 18 inches closer and she would have been struck. (To this day, I thank the lord that no one was harmed. My wife and I would not be able to live with ourselves had anyone been hurt.) My neighbor thought there was a stranger in my home and fired a weapon. She promptly dialed 911 and while she was talking to the police, I notified her that I was at fault for the gunshot. The police arrived and my wife and I were arrested and charged. Had anyone been injured or killed, we would’ve definitely been charged with a felony. Considering I had a clean record and served honorably in the military for the past five years, my wife and I were only charged with reckless conduct. In addition, my firearms (I legally own a handgun and a rifle) were confiscated after our arrest. I neglected to check the chamber before allowing my wife to handle the firearm. This I totally accept as my fault and irresponsibility. As a legal firearm owner, I should’ve known better. On a side note, my neighbor is an angel. She forgave us and does not intend to press charges or request compensation for her damaged wall and mattress. No matter how hard I offered to compensate her for the damages, she, bless her heart, did not want anything. My neighbor is a believer in the 2nd Amendment and has always been interested in owning firearms. She has no problem with my owning firearms and considered what happened an accident with no malice. My neighbor and I have always gotten along. After this incident, we have definitely gotten a lot closer.

Sorry for the long story. My main reason for posting is because I have two legal concerns that I seek advice. One, will I be able to get my firearms back into my possession? I am extremely concerned that the state will take away my firearms despite the fact that I had a clean record and we were only charged with a misdemeanor. My second question is would it be strongly recommended that I have an attorney at my court date? I reside in Lake County in Illinois and have been told that the judges of my county are very tough on firearm cases. Of course, this information was from an attorney who was convincing me to hire him.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Thomas

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">