• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgonzalez89

I live in California and my friend was recently charged with reckless driving. He was driving over 100 mph. He had his court date last week and supposedly he was going to be charged a fine of $500, a license suspension, and 15 days in jail. He pleaded not guilty and now his trial is set for August 25. He is really worried that because school is starting and he really doesn't want to go to jail. Is there any way to get out of this? The fine is no problem, but it's the jail part that is the concern. Should a lawyer be involved?

FlyingRon

Any time the potential of jail is involved, I'd seriously consider at least talking to a lawyer before court.

CdwJava

If there is a potential for jail time, this is being conducted at Superior Court and he will have the right to court appointed counsel if he cannot afford an attorney.

Also, his reckless acts must have been more than simply speed as CVC 23103 cannot be cited solely for excessive speed. I suspect he was weaving in and out of traffic, tailgating, or committing some additional dangerous acts as well. If he was charged with reckless driving solely due to speed, then an attorney can likely get a plea to an infraction for said speed.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">