• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reckless Driving Summons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jponce719

What is the name of your state? New York (Queens)

I had a question regarding a summons I received. It was for reckless driving. I am also a TLC driver. I am concerned because I have NEVER received a ticket of this kind or any type of moving violation summons. The description of the ticket is for RECKLESS DRIVING that's all. There is a code which is marked and abbreviated VTL. The ticket at the very bottom also says criminal court. My question is do I need a lawyer for this type of summons? If I am found guilty is this considered a criminal offense? I am extremely concerned. I would appreciate your help.

Thank you

PS: Upon receiving the ticket the officer also mentioned that I have nothing to worry about. I should plead guilty and I will be given a $35 penalty fee. This is hard to believe.

Raptoer

Never accept legal advice from police officers.

Yes, it is a criminal offense in the same way that speeding is a criminal offense, you are being brought to court by the state for breaking a criminal law.

There is nothing wrong with bringing a lawyer, however I doubt that you will truly NEED one.

Fighting a ticket like this is hard, unless it was completely obvious that you did nothing wrong, which I doubt it the case here.

I believe what will happen is that you will get a 300-700$ fine, maybe have to attend some sort of class or seminar, and MAYBE have your license suspended. The New York laws are extremely vague about the punishment of reckless driving, "Every person violating this provision shall be guilty of a misdemeanor". If you were driving a semi at the time, you may have your truck license suspended, but if it was your personal vehicle, and it was not a serious incident (you weren't close to killing several other people), I doubt you will have your license suspended/revoked.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">