• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recorded threats and social network defamation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmoore1213

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky
What can I do about a 19 year old in Alabama verbally threatening a 13 year old in Kentucky? The threat was made on the 13 y/o's voicemail and then was later followed by social network defamation of me and my family (myself, my husband and my 13 y/o) on Facebook.:confused:
It also may helpto know that the 19 y/o is also my estranged son and he and the people who left the comments on Facebook are also estranged family members who live in Alabama.

justalayman

What can I do about a 19 year old in Alabama verbally threatening a 13 year old in Kentucky?
call the police and make a report. Don't expect anything to happen but it would be good to have this on record.

as to Facebook: if you believe whatever is being posted is contrary to the TOS of the site, report it to their administrators. Other than that, don't read the crap they post.

cmoore1213

We did call the police in both states and both stated there was nothing they could do. As for Facebook, the information was posted on my 13 y/o's page. We deleted the contacts and reported them all to the FB administrator. I am curious as to what legal routes we can take to stop the harassment and threats. :confused:

justalayman

all you can do is continue to make reports of threats or harassment. If there is a pattern that continues and is extreme, there are laws that generally can be invoked.

If you believe the police are not responding properly, ask to speak to a higher level of authority at the department. If you still do not accept their determination, contact the prosecutors office and speak with them.

Proserpina

Block his number on your 13 year old's phone.

That's if you're not going to take away the phone entirely.

Block him from FB, change the privacy settings on the accounts, or completely remove your FB accounts.

Seriously - there are practical and sensible steps you can be taking.

CdwJava

What can I do about a 19 year old in Alabama verbally threatening a 13 year old in Kentucky?
Through the legal system? Not much. If a crime at all, such a thing is likely a low grade misdemeanor and not going to result in extradition or prosecution.

The threat was made on the 13 y/o's voicemail and then was later followed by social network defamation of me and my family (myself, my husband and my 13 y/o) on Facebook.
Defamation is a civil matter. Whether the "threat" is criminal or not would depend on whether the threat was believed and whether or not it indicated an imminent threat to life and limb. Since they are in different states, it is still not likely a felony.

It also may helpto know that the 19 y/o is also my estranged son and he and the people who left the comments on Facebook are also estranged family members who live in Alabama.
Change the settings allowing only accepted friends to post on the boy's Facebook page, remove the comments already in place, and remove those folks as friends. That way the comments are gone and all is well in the world.

If they call his phone, don't listen to the message or respond - just delete it. If they call continuously, report it to the police each time. Maybe change his phone number.

There are ways to handle this. Just don't count on the legal system to do it for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">