• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recording phone calls

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paul5215

What is the name of your state? Washington

What is the law as far as recording phone calls? I have been told that Washington State is a two party consent state and you have the a reasonable right to expect privacy. Dad records all phone calls between my grandson and his mother during visitation. Is this legal and what can my daughter do about it?

Calls being recorded are between Wastington State and Oregon State. What Oregon State and Federal laws are being violated and what can be done about it.

Last edited:

Happy Trails

paul5215 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington

What is the law as far as recording phone calls? I have been told that Washington State is a two party consent state and you have the a reasonable right to expect privacy. Dad records all phone calls between my grandson and his mother during visitation. Is this legal and what can my daughter do about it?
Washington has an all-party consent "Violating of Privacy" law Sec. 9.73.030.

The Washington State Privacy Act restricts the recording of private conversations, making it unlawful to make recordings without first obtaining the consent of all parties to the communication.

Violating it results in a 'gross misdemeanor'.

Contact the police and see what recommendations they have.

http://archive.aclu.org/issues/cyber/phonelaw.html#WA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">