• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording phone calls.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xeno242

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.

If a company (in or out side of California) gives me a recording saying "This call may be recorded for customer service reasons" does this give me permission to also record the call without informing them?

CdwJava

If a company (in or out side of California) gives me a recording saying "This call may be recorded for customer service reasons" does this give me permission to also record the call without informing them?
Common sense would seem to indicate that it would. Maybe. But, if you intend to record the conversation you might also consider informing the person at the other end that you are doing so. Keep in mind that the company doing the calling and recording is ostensibly doing it randomly and for "quality control" purposes (ad evaluation of employees) while you may be using it for other purposes.

To be legally safe, before you record anyone TELL them you are doing so.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And don't forget that there are Federal laws as well as state, in the event that you are in one state and the office you are talking to is in another.

quincy

If you continue with the call, the company has YOUR consent to record. You, in turn, need THEIR consent to record. You should inform them of your intent to record the call. They, then, have the same opportunity to stop the call or hang up on you as you have been given with their notice to you.

Because states have different consent laws, it is important to give notice whenever you intend to record a call.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">