• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording without Video

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dlowe42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

California here. Can a business, in this case the TOLL ROADS, videotape me in a private room without my consent? The Director of the Toll Roads said that because it was video only (room had a camera and a red, lit up button on the wall), that it was legal. I was taken from the general area where questions were being answered and people were paying fines, to a back room. I had more than a reasonable expectation of privacy; if not, why would they take me to a private office?

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

California here. Can a business, in this case the TOLL ROADS, videotape me in a private room without my consent? The Director of the Toll Roads said that because it was video only (room had a camera and a red, lit up button on the wall), that it was legal. I was taken from the general area where questions were being answered and people were paying fines, to a back room. I had more than a reasonable expectation of privacy; if not, why would they take me to a private office?
What private room?

ETA: If it's not a bathroom - then yes.

Dlowe42

What private room?

ETA: If it's not a bathroom - then yes.

Yes, it was a private room. So, even in that private room, I didn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy? So, when the lady left, and i had grabbed my wife's boob and put my hand under her skirt, they had a right to film it?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Yes, it was a private room. So, even in that private room, I didn't have a reasonable expectation of privacy? So, when the lady left, and i had grabbed my wife's boob and put my hand under her skirt, they had a right to film it?
Yes, because there's no reasonable expectation of privacy. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What kind of "private room" does the Toll Roads provide?

I will expand on my prior post - if this was a room provided for you to change clothes, then it could also be problematic if they recorded.

I'm still going with my prior answer though.

CdwJava

What kind of "private room" is this? It may be a small or isolated room, but unless it was a bathroom or changing room, there is likely no expectation of provacy in there.

Also, if you SAW the camera and the red light, you knew or reasonably should have known your actions were being recorded. So, if you chose to grope your wife while you were in there, you did so of your own accord knowing that someone else could be watching.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">