• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recorse for Forged Endorsement & Theft of Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

writeart

Recourse for Forged Endorsement & Theft of Money

What legal recourse do I have against my sister-in-law who forged my husband's endorsement on a check from the Mississippi Treasury Department made out to both him and his sister (joint beneficiaries of their mother's estate). She has a history of doing this on previous checks - long story, may or may not be pertinent to this case. The amount she deposited into her personal account was supposed to have been split 50/50 between them. She never gave my husband his half. I have a copy of the Treasury Department check showing it was made out jointly to both of them and I have a copy of the back of the check showing her signature, her forged endorsement, and the account it was deposited into.

From my point of view, she is guilty of forging my husband's signature - I can prove she has done this before - and she is guilty of theft of his half of the money. He has asked her about this money and she lied to him about when it was distributed and what happened to it. The amount she stole is $737.15.

I am pursuing this issue on behalf of my husband. I hold his Power of Attorney for all business/money matters. He is aware of his sister's actions and my decision to collect this money from her one way or the other.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">