• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recourse for crimes committed abroad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mav7200

It was recently brought to my attention that while on a university sponsored trip to Europe a friend of mine was the victim of a sexual battery on multiple occasions by a professor of the same university. My question would be does she have any civil or legal recourse in the states if the crimes were committed abroad? She was intoxicated during all instances and this was known by the professor at the time. There has been instances of harassment in the states and one case of battery in the states as well. This man is a predator and there is a high probability that there are other victims. We are currently California residents. Also would it be considered defamation of character if she mailed a letter to a local newspaper describing the events in their entirety with courtesy copies sent to the professor, the university officials, and local law enforcement? To what degree does legal reciprocity occur for this sort of crime? What are her options for a criminal prosecution? Thank you for your time.

C

curtisd

just wondering how these incidents came to your attention-if it was by the intoxicated recipient-how accurate is her version and why were there multiple incidents-did she ever sober up between episodes?as far as legal recourse is concerned unless the crime was committed here she has none but i would definitely say that the univ.is able to exact some punishment if the charges can be proven.

Last edited:
M

Mav7200

just wondering how these incidents came to your attention-if it was by the intoxicated recipient-how accurate is her version and why were there multiple incidents-did she ever sober up between episodes?as far as legal recourse is concerned unless the crime was committed here she has none but i would definitely say that the univ.is able to exact some punishment if the charges can be proven.

She brought them to my attention. Yes she was sober for most of the trip one time she had taken some dramamine to ease her stomach during a train ride and fell asleep and awoke to the professor touching her. Thank you for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">