• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding NICS Background check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deforig

I was convicted of felony bank fraud 14 yrs ago, the result of a plea in Federal Court in Oakland, CA. My sentence was 8 months total; 4 months in a half-way house, and 4 months home detention with monitor, followed by 5 years federal probation.

In the 14 + years since that conviction, I have had absolutely NO incidents or convictions. My question is; regarding the NICS and the purchase of a handgun for home protection, can I pass the NICS background check, can I purchase a handgun? I am in CA.

CdwJava

I was convicted of felony bank fraud 14 yrs ago, the result of a plea in Federal Court in Oakland, CA. My sentence was 8 months total; 4 months in a half-way house, and 4 months home detention with monitor, followed by 5 years federal probation.

In the 14 + years since that conviction, I have had absolutely NO incidents or convictions. My question is; regarding the NICS and the purchase of a handgun for home protection, can I pass the NICS background check, can I purchase a handgun? I am in CA.
A felony conviction is an automatic bar to firearm ownership in California and under federal law. You can neither possess or own a firearm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">