• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding an older question, incase I do want to join the police force

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BruceS

I was told as a CA resident, there would be no penalty (beyond the law excluded) if an 18 year old high school student hid a few (let's say four) progress reports sent in the mail for his/her parents and flushed them down the toilet? So this is different from more sinister actions such as mail tampering with credit cards?

CdwJava

I was told as a CA resident, there would be no penalty (beyond the law excluded) if an 18 year old high school student hid a few (let's say four) progress reports sent in the mail for his/her parents and flushed them down the toilet? So this is different from more sinister actions such as mail tampering with credit cards?
While your actions might not be a serious crime (though, it would technically BE a crime), they would reflect a serious lack of maturity. This sort of action could prevent you from getting a job in law enforcement unless a lot of years has passed between this incident and your application.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yes, Bruce, it is a crime. It is not likely to be prosecuted, but it is still a crime.

CdwJava

So there is no crime? There just happens to be a lot of people who do this.
It may not ever be prosecuted, but it is a crime. And such action can show a great deal of immaturity.

How old are you now, and what have you done since this childish high school affair to show that you are now mature and responsible? The actions you describe are unlikely to prevent you from getting a job in law enforcement, but if you attempt to conceal it and it gets out that you did this, then you can kiss a career goodbye. best to be up front with any background investigator. Frankly, if you brought it up with me in a background investigation and you have been out of high school a few years, I'd make a small footnote, but it would pretty much be a non-issue unless such immature actions have continued.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">