• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regarding stupid "Retail Theft"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atpgod

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Alright here's the deal. 5 Years ago, I used to work a J.C. Penney's part time. I had ordered a pair of jeans from the JC Penney catalog, and I went to pick them up from the catalog dept. the day AFTER my 17th birthday. Well, when I got to the catalog dept. the jeans had a price tag of $9.99 (not the actual $21.99)... so being the "naive" lil boy that I was, I thought to myself "woo hoo" and went ahead and bought them for $9.99... 3 days later, the security people brought me in to talk to a manager, saying that I had done something "very wrong". But if I signed a confession to underpaying for a pair of jeans that they would not pursue any type of legal action. Apparently, they had filed a complaint and a warrant for my arrest had been issued. and now 5 YEARS LATER I get pulled over for a speeding ticket, and furthermore get arrested and booked for "retail theft".

So there's the story, now my questions...
1. is it still theft if I paid for it?

2. in their compaint they said I had rung it up at the lower price (which I most surely did NOT) so can I do something about that?

3. is there some statute of limitations on how long they have to arrest me?

4. if I somehow get convicted, will the past 5 years of lawfullness be taken into consideration?

5. I've been running around for the past five years with a warrant for arrest on my record. Is there anything I can do about defamation. I mean everytime someone ran a background check on me for work or grad school they'd see that and assume I had lied on my applications about not getting into legal troubles.

6. if I do get acquitted (and I hope I do), can I sue someone for the $80 that I had to pay to get my car out of tow? I mean all they had to do was call me up and say "hey, you need to come in to the PD and take care of this"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">