• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Regretful of mistake!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GMU599

What is the name of your state? VA

In October of 2001 I got into a huge verbal argument with my ex-girlfriend over AOL instant messanger. I had just got home from having a few drinks with some old friends and she IMed me. I was fed up with her constantly trying to keep in contact with me, so I told her to %@&* off. The agrument got really heated and I said things that I still regret to this day.

After the argument ended, I continued to drink and get more and more pissed off. At this point I was pretty drunk, so I started prank calling her. I did this probably 8 or 9 times.

The next day, I had realized the mistake I had made. I opened my e-mail inbox and her father had e-mailed me. He was an affluent New York businessman with lots of money and power to do something to me if he wanted to. He told me that if I ever contacted her again that he'd have his friend, who was a Washington D.C. asst. D.A. press charges. He said he still may press charges.

First off, can he press charges since I'm in VA, but the calls were made to a number in D.C.? Secondly, I just read in the paper today were a current member of the St. Louis Rams was just arrested this week for harassment charges that date back to 1999. Reading that made me think that I could still get into some hot water, even after so long. Is that still possible? Could she have filed charges in Oct. 2001 and I get arrested say a year from now? Thanks!!

H

hmmbrdzz

Someone could have done something with regards to the phone calls. I don't know what you said, (you may not know what you said), and so I can't speak to the probability of someone having filed a complaint and a warrant being issued yet not served. If her father has money and is an affluent businessman, take him seriously. He might know how to get charges filed.

If you are concerned that there may be an outstanding warrant for your arrest for these phone calls, you can call the county where the warrant would be and either relieve your mind or go turn yourself in.

If you don't want to do any of that, and if you haven't had any contact with this girl since the e-mail from dear ole dad, you need to keep it that way. It really wouldn't be a matter of whether or not you called her from another state. The matter would be if you had called her and had been advised to leave her alone and you violated her wishes or a court order.

hmmbrdzz

G

GMU599

Luckily, I do remember the content of the calls, and they were all just hang-ups. There were no threats at all.

I guess other things that look to be in my favor are that this guy, if he really wanted too, would have got me in big trouble already. He had lots of connections and $$.

Also, I have switched jobs a few times. These jobs have been with major corporations, who do background checks. Would a background check show an outstanding warrant for my arrest?

Thanks!!!

H

hmmbrdzz

I don't think so, but I'm not sure. If you just "hung up", then I wouldn't be too worried -- except for perhaps that whiskey bottle you might have near the phone! Good luck.

hmmbrdzz

G

GMU599

I guess with the whole long story, I lost track of my original question....after 16 months, isn't it a pretty safe assumtion that if charges were pressed, I would have gotten word by now?

H

hmmbrdzz

Lost track of your original question? (I told you to stay away from that whiskey, now.) YES -- go celebrate -- with COKE. The probability is 0 to none, BUT -- I'm not an attorney. I'm a bird.

hmmbrdzz

G

GMU599

Thanks Dude! I'm just one of those paranoid types! Your great wisdom and humor has been greatly appreciated!! Enjoy the Super Bowl!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">