• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relative claims to be me in car accident report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Looking4anout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State
My Brother in law claimed to be me after an accident. He told the police he left his license at home. They did not do anything further to verify his identity.
Now my name is on the police report, and two insurance companies are coming after this person who was found at fault in this accident, and they think it is me. They found my home phone number on the online white pages for someone who matched my name and age. My name is extremely rare and as far as I can tell there are three people in the whole of the U.S. that share my first and last name, and none with the same middle.
How can I clear my spotless name, or at least get it removed from this police report?
I have had a local officer take a statment from me to report this ID theft and Fraud and so there is a case open on this.
What else must I do?
Thank you!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You only need to open one thread for your problem. Multiple threads are very annoying.

How do you know what he told the police? How long ago was the accident?

You've already filed a police report on the matter. Since you were named falsely is your insurance company involved?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">