• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Relative perpetual stealing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tayla

What is the name of your state? PA

Adult relative entered my place of residency whilst i was not there. Stole a checkbook and over the course of two weeks wrote three checks to themselves.This transpired on May 17th of this year. This checking account belonged to my parent that resides at my abode. This checking account is not a joint authorized account, so the relative had no authority to write them selves a check and cash it. Nor was any permission granted by my parent to have such done on her behalf. This relative has no legal powers to act on my parents' behalf.
This relative has done this to my parent repeatedly through out the years, yet this time, my parent has had enough and is willing to take this matter to court if need be.

Thus far we have : forgery and theft.

Once we file with the bank , and close her account, we are told to go directly to the police station and file a report. Must we then go to a lawyer for civil proceedings to commence or wait until the police investigate the allegations? Basically, does the police investigative report precede a filing with the courts against the person? What physical evidence should we be gathering at this point to present? Or is this for the police and lawyer to handle?

Some Random Guy

Civil liability is far easier to prove once a conviction is secured. Talk to the police and ask them about standards of proof and what you can do.

Tayla

Thanks. So basically gain the conviction thru criminal court, which then leads to filing a civil case. Which hopefully brings restitution for losses incurred.

Some Random Guy

People who resolrt to stealing don't usually have lots of cash laying around. Expect restitution to be partial and in the distant future. If you can get them to agree to it in court as part of a plea bargain, that would be better.

Tayla

Thanks RG.
Restitution can be in the form of a judgement or lien which the relative does have a car and some other small assets. Or may have in the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">