• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rental Holding Deposit SCAM

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scooby43

What is the name of your state? CA

I responded to an ad in the newspaper for a condo and after seeing it, the owner, who is still living in the unit, told me that he recently bought a new home & he was moving out in 2 weeks and that he would hold the place if I gave him a check for $500.00. I gave him a check without a written agreement and have since come to discover that he has taken three $500 deposits from 3 other people and that he never bought a new home & never had any intention of moving. (I only know about the 3 because we all showed up at his house at the same time, but there may be more) He still resides at the property, & even when I know he's home, he won't answer his door or respond to phone calls. He cashed all of our checks. So it was some sort of scam. Isn't this a crime? It seems to me this would be a criminially fraudulent act. Can I contact the police as I doubt small claims would go very far as he has a huge list of actions against him already. At this point, I just want him stopped so he doesn't do this to others. My main question is, in the state of California, is this a felony criminal act that the police would respond to?

garrula lingua

Theft of over $400 is a felony.
You should report this crime in the area the scammer lives. The case would be stronger if all four of you report this, and the DA will be more prone to file this case if there are four victims (With one of you, it may be a he said/she said as to what the money was for & too much reasonable doubt to file).
This is Grand Theft.

Also, the court can order restitution as a condition of probation, so you may have a better chance of recovering your money (better than small claims).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">