• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restitution & Tax Returns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? MT

My husband is currently paying restitution on a federal charge. Can they intercept our tax return?

S

seniorjudge

concerned1 said:
What is the name of your state? MT

My husband is currently paying restitution on a federal charge. Can they intercept our tax return?
Could you give us some details?

He is currently paying $XXX per month toward the restitution which is to be paid wholly and severally (where all involved pay toward the entire amount). In addition, he is on probation. We faithfully mail the money in each month but wondered (since this is the first tax season since this happened) if they could intercept our tax refund to pay toward the balance. Does that answer all the questions you have? I appreciate your thoughts in advance!

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

Restitution is for?

State tax?

Federal tax?

Probation for what?

What was the charge?

Supervised probation?

He pled guilty to transportation of stolen property - aiding and abetting. Not to get into all the specifics, it was a wrong friend at the wrong time situation and he is taking the lumps for that. He was sentenced to three years of supervised probation. I am mostly worried about the federal tax return. But, we (or I should say he as he is the one working the second job to pay) are current with no reason for them to expect any more than what is agreed. But, just a curiosity question so we know what to expect. Thanks for your time!

S

seniorjudge

concerned1 said:
He pled guilty to transportation of stolen property - aiding and abetting. Not to get into all the specifics, it was a wrong friend at the wrong time situation and he is taking the lumps for that. He was sentenced to three years of supervised probation. I am mostly worried about the federal tax return. But, we (or I should say he as he is the one working the second job to pay) are current with no reason for them to expect any more than what is agreed. But, just a curiosity question so we know what to expect. Thanks for your time!
Okay, the feds can get the feds return.

But, if he current with his restitution, then he probably does not need to worry.

As long as he is under the feds PO's radar, he should be all right. You do not want to irritate a federal probation officer. Trust me.

That is entirely our intention. He made a mistake and he is paying for that and will for the rest of his life. But, for now, we do what we are supposed to do. I was hoping that the fact we were current and everything would put this in a positive light. Thank you for your time and input! It is appreciated!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">