• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Restore Civil Rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

I Have a Question

My brother, now living in Florida had a felony conviction 20+ years ago in Mass.
He and some friends pled guilty to a charge
re: marijuna and received suspended sentence
with community service. How does he get his
civil rights restored?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

WHAT LEGAL STEPS CAN I TAKE TO EXPUNGE MY FELONY CONVICTION?
Not every case can be expunged. Every state has its own requirements that have to be met before a criminal record can be expunged. Contrary to popular belief, records are not "sealed" automatically with the passage of time, but require the filing of a petition with the court requesting the expungement and stating the reasons you are requesting it and how you meet the criteria set by law. The procedure can take between three months to almost a year depending upon the Court and the severity of the case. The fees are usually very reasonable, in the neighborhood of $2,000 to $2,500.00, and include research, filing fees, the drafting of the Petition, and any Court appearances. If you are not versed in this area of law, or feel you cannot handle this even with doing your own legal research, a criminal defense attorney would be able to do this for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">