• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mae6

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Louisiana
I was being physically abused and harrassed by someone i was trying to get out of a relationship with so i got a restraining order. Well, years later, i'm married now, i saw him and he acted fine. Another day he actually called me and i talked to him on the phone. Everything was ok. So we talked as if we were friends and then we started hanging out together again. Still, everything was going ok, he was acting like he had changed. we would call each other and talk almost every day. Now he's acting crazy again, threatening and blackmailing me saying that if i dont drop the restraining order that he will tell my family that we talked and hung out. He knows that would hurt them so bad because of everything we went through with him. They would probably turn on me Also saying he will show the police phone records of me calling him and saying it was me. My question is, since i actually talked to him is the restraing order still effective? or did i mess up by not calling the police the first time he called. i always felt sorry for this guy and never wanted to take things this far. that is why i didnt call the cops when he called years later and acted ok. What can i do if anything to make him stop calling me all the time again? i'm so afraid that everything is ruined now. I told my husband that he doesnt call anymore cause i dont want to bother him with it. i'm also afraid that he will start ugly rumors about me, but what could be done about that? What can i do if anything??

ldkirby

I think it would depend on if it were a lifetime or temporary restraining order. You will need to check what you filed and how it reads.

Your husband has every reason to not want you around this guy...obviously you know that because you snuck around to do it.
File a new restraining order and when you run into this guy again in a few more years, think back, and DO NOT talk to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">