• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jholl99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

What do I need to do to prevent restraining order restrictions.

I am under a restraining order from an ex-girlfriend. We work in the same circles and up until several months ago attended the same functions. I want and need to attend a state convention coming up iin a few months. I know that if she knows that I will be attending, she will also attend to keep me from going. She has already done this to me on two occassions. If I register first and attend, can she violate my restraining order by attending and knowing that I will be there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

If you know this conference is coming up see if you can get back before the court and have an exception made for this event if this is possible. They do it here on occasions, so I would think it an option there.

Yes, you can and likely will get arrested if you violate the terms of the order .... Even if. If possible, do not attend the same meetings as the protected party or you could find yourself in cuffs.

dlw99

Kansas has two types of restraining orders - one from abuse and the other from stalking/harassment. If yours was from an act of physical violence against your ex that was proven in court, the judge is unlikely to take a chance on letting you near her as long as the RO is in effect.

If your RO is from non-violent harassment and you've complied with the order for a reasonable period of time, it is possible that he/she would consider the matter.

I've also seen it happen on occasion, but never in a physically abusive situation.

Questor

How does this woman know what you are planning? Can you be more discrete about your plans or perhaps lay some false trails to mislead a bit. Sounds like someone may be violating your right to privacy if they are passing on information about you. Keep your cards close to your chest.

I would also start keeping written records of any information relating to her doing such vindictive actions against you including testimony from others. You might be able to make a case for harassment against her at some point. Maybe getting a letter from your lawyer with such information would change her tune.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">