• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

retail petit theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FASTFROG

What is the name of your state? florida
i was recently charged with, but not arrested for retail petit theft at a dept. store...and rec'd a notice to appear in court. i have never been in any kind of trouble whatsoever before in my life, so i have no idea what will happen or what to say in court. i have no idea what pleading 'no contest' means, and what will happen if i do plead 'guilty' or 'no contest',, being that this is my first ever offense, are they pretty lenient? this has already ruined one chance to obtain a job, and was wondering, if this will remain on my record, or be listed as 'adjudication withheld'? which i do not completely understand what that means either. i'm basically just wondering, if they will list adjudication withheld , on both the guilty and the no contest charge, and what might happen as far as my consequences, and if this will affect any chances i might have with future employers. the officer did tell me that more than likely i will pay fines, receive community service hours, and probation. and as far as service hours go.. can all of those be paid off (or just a specific amt) and at how much per hour? i can not afford an attorney, and desperately need some help, as i have no idea what's going on, and have never stepped foot in a court room before at all.
thanks.

stephenk

typically a "no contest" plea is the equivilant of a "guilty" plea, but prevents its use in any civil action against you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">