• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retail Theft - Utah - questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnDoe5544

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah

Greetings,

Thanks in advance for any help received here.

A friend and I are both currently being charged with retail theft in Utah. We honestly did not to intend to steal anything. Here's basically what happened: My mother asked me and a friend to go purchase groceries for her. She gave us a list of things to buy and told me to go purchase them and she'd pay me back when I got home (so I was never going to be paying for them myself anyway...). I use canvas bags at grocery stores rather than being wasteful. I also in the past have used these bags to just collect the groceries as I went rather than using the store's basket. I won't do this in the future as I had never really thought that this situation may wind up happening...

As we were checking out in the self-checkout line, my friend forgot to scan the items in one of the canvas bags that she was carrying/carried out. As we were leaving with the goods - 4 bags paid for 1 not- we were stopped by security on the way out.

We tried to explain our situation to the security person - showed him the list we had, explained that we weren't even paying for it anyway, but he was generally disinterested/disbelieving. We picked up items, walked them past the check out line, and hadn't paid for them - so he said it didn't really matter anyway. My mom came up and tried to explain things as well but he still wasn't believing us. (Perhaps this is understandable - from his perspective this could easily look like someone trying to shoplift). So now my friend and I are both being criminally charged for retail theft of $30 worth of groceries - vegetable oil, veggies, noodles, etc..

We have both appeared at our arraignment and pled not guilty. We tried to acquire a public defender (this is in justice court by the way - not a court of record) but the judge stated that we make too much money (we both make approximately $600/month - we are both full time students with part time jobs). In my whole time that day watching probably 20 requests for public defenders, I only saw two people get them, and they were both jobless. It must be very difficult there to get a public defender...

So we can't get a court appointed attorney and I highly doubt I can afford a private attorney on $600 or so a month. My main concern in this whole ordeal is that in one year I plan to start law school. I understand that a criminal conviction of this sort can have very serious consequences for the Character and Fitness examination of the Bar. At this point, even though I'm frustrated that I'm being tried for this (and somewhat angry at my friend for forgetting that canvas bag!) - I would almost prefer to take whatever the hell arrangement I can that would minimize my problems in the future passing the Bar. In the long-run, money isn't that big of a deal here. Does anyone know the probability of getting an arrangement - say, a plea to an infraction with a large fine, or plea in abeyance - that would help my future prospects of passing the Bar? I have no prior convictions.

On top of all of this - my friend and I have been sent to collections and we are each being asked to pay an odd amount - something like $429 a piece. When I asked the collection agency where they arrived at that figure - obviously much higher than the goods in question (which the store kept anyway) - they simply stated that the grocer told them that that was what was owed. But the costs of the goods were approximately $33. So I don't know how they arrived at this - nor do I know what I should do about this at this point. I'm already getting many calls from collections demanding payment for a case that is still pending in criminal court. All in all, I can't help but be cynical that a grocer appears to be very opportunistic - trying to acquire $860 from two people who mistakenly almost took $30 of product (which stayed in the store anyway). The store seems to be profiting from all this...

What are some general thoughts on my predicament?

FlyingRon

Borrow the money for the lawyer.
Arguing that you "weren't going to pay for it anyway" doesn't do anything to help your case.
The civil demand for shoplifting is always way more than the value of the goods.
Did you sign an agreement at the store at the time you were stopped?

JohnDoe5544

There was no agreement that I was even offered to sign.

So can the store just pull any number out of the air for civil demand? Where did they arrive at this amount?

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

BrandiVanS

Hope you are still around... VERY similar case...

I so very much hope you are still around and possibly monitoring this board. I really want, no, I NEED to know how your case turned out in order to give myself some hope and/or help decide what to do to minimize the impact of the situation on myself and my family.
First, I am curious if the retailer you are speaking of happens to be Walmart. On the night I was accused of stealing (brief details momentarily), the Assistant Manager read me some paper stating treble damages etc. I didn't pay much attention because I knew/know that they were wrong in detaining me and was certain THAT would be understood very soon. Anyway, I'd imagine that they use that tactic in order to terrorize innocent people even more than necessary. I'm pretty sure that because the statement she read included something about "above and beyond what law enforcement does..." that I will be seeing a claim shortly. Thank Heavens for an already-pending bankruptcy in my future.
That I happened to come upon your posting very first in my Google search and the fact that there are so many similarities is almost scary. There must be some reason...
I was shopping for my family and as I had MANY (at least 5-6) times before, I picked up some bags on the way into the store, walking past the registers. I proceeded to shop and bagged my groceries during the process keeping track of the cost of each bag on a list while I proceeded. Having so very many times gone dramatically over budget only to get to the register and be completely embarassed, I had devised and used this method regularly in order to keep track of how much I was spending and on what. I had tried the calculator thing in the past and always forgot to include items so that wouldn't work for me. In addition, this method kept my "impulse" purchases of snacks and such to one, single bag which was acceptable to me.
As I finished shopping and was adding up the bag totals on my cell phone calculator application, I realized that I had still gone over my budget (usually I would track the costs as I went along, inputting the information into my phone but was unable to do so this time because my phone was almost out of charge). This time, it wasn't too big of a deal cost-wise because I did have access to the money in my personal checking/debit account and another that I share with my adult daughter.
As I was finishing adding up the amounts, I had to use the restroom. I parked the cart outside the restroom and went in to take care of business. While doing so, I texted my daughter to tell her I needed to use some of the monies in the shared account for groceries. We determined that one of our debit cards for the account was in my car and I could retrieve and utilize it as necessary.
Finishing my "business," I headed toward the front doors of the store planning to park my cart by the Customer Service desk and run out to my car to get the card. At that moment I remembered that I was going to be needing a bag of ice for the evening. Not wanting to forget it when I paid for everything else, I stopped and used cash to pay the $2 to/with the self-service check out cashier. I took the bag of ice from the freezer and put it on the bottom of my basket and proceeded with my original plan. Seeing that the CS desk was extremely busy & being concerned that someone would walk off/out with the cart full of groceries, I pulled it up and around the first corner so I could watch it while I ran out & in very quickly. Even though the cart/groceries never left the store and I NEVER intended to let them do so unpaid for, pulling my cart to that space was apparently my BIG mistake.
I might add, while I was shopping, the Assistant Manager had come up to me while I was shopping and asked if I needed any help (I am disabled and walk with a limp using a cane). At the time, I mentioned what I was doing (bagging to keep track of cost) and she said nothing negative about it so I proceeded. After that, I observed her speaking to several other employees and thought they were just chuckling over my unorthodox methods.
As I went to park my cart in the entryway of the store, I was approached by that same Assistant Manager and asked about a receipt. Although it may sound quite naive, it didn't immediately occur to me that she was suspecting I had an intention to steal the merchandise. I was thinking about the ice I had just paid for. I pulled that receipt up and showed her. She then asked about the rest of the groceries and whether or not I had a receipt for them. I said I was just parking the cart to run to my car and get the debit card. Because I had already told/shown her what I was doing when she had approached me earlier, I was (stupidly--now I realize) somewhat laughingly searching for my list to show her that I had gone over budget and needed to get the other card etc. I can look back and think how stupid I must have seemed at that point but really, it hadn't yet occurred to me that she was insinuating that I planned to shoplift.
When I couldn't find the list (to this day, I have to assume that I dropped/left it in the restroom immediately prior), I said "I've just got to go out to my car to get the debit card so I can pay for everything." At that time she stated that we had to go "to the back."
The rest of the situation, excepting that I had prescribed narcotics in my purse in an unmarked bag and my husband had to bring my prescription receipts up to prove they were mine, can be assumed... The Assistant Manager was/is determined to make her case regardless of the fact that I had absolutely no intention of stealing ANYTHING. I have NEVER in my life stolen anything from a store. In fact, I am the person who upon finding the little item stuck in a crack of the cart while unloading into my car, will hobble back to make sure it's paid for appropriately. I have a charge of RETAIL THEFT Class A misd. that I have to tackle and have no idea where to start. As with you, although I exist with the benefit of Social Security Disability, I do not qualify for a public defender but certainly cannot afford a private attorney either. Knowing that the truth is on my side, I would like to think that I could represent myself. But realizing how naive I was at the beginning of this and the old saying about having a fool for a client, I'm starting to conclude otherwise. Unfortunately, the truth does not always win (thank GOD for DNA in a lot of cases).
If anyone can advise me, I would be most grateful.
I'm feeling "Very Naive in Utah..."

I believe that you didn't conceal or atempt to steal anything. Their case doesn't hold water.

You need to start your own thread.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I believe that you didn't conceal or atempt to steal anything. Their case doesn't hold water.

You need to start your own thread.
Of course THAT is wrong...OP parked the cart around the corner (and, I have to assume, out of sight of the rest of the store).

She did start another thread.

I guess my internet connection isn't as good as yours, cause I can't see that corner. Being that the cart was left behind before she headed for the exit....

But again; I wasn't there...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess my internet connection isn't as good as yours, cause I can't see that corner. Being that the cart was left behind before she headed for the exit....

But again; I wasn't there...
The cart was pushed around a corner - the OP says it right there. The cart doesn't need to leave the store! :rolleyes:

ETA: You DO realize that many objects have corners, right? Walls, counters, etc. I think you have your mind stuck on a single type of "corner"...

BrandiVanS

Explaining the "corner"...

**I did post another thread "Another *erroneous* Retail Theft charge in UTAH"**
There is a lobby area just inside the entrance to the store where the carts et al. are stowed. Employees and others are ALL AROUND virtually constantly.
Looking back, I now realize that it probably wasn't the BEST place to park it. "Around the corner" is referring to the corner of the Customer Service Desk. If measurements were made, the cart ended up maybe 8 feet from the desk.

The fact that I was actually attempting to prevent someone else from doing EXACTLY what I have been accused of and didn't want to "bother" an over-busy, over-worked crew at the Customer Service Desk to watch the cart, could almost be laughable if the situation wasn't so serious.

I wish (hope) they have a video of my full visit to the store that evening. It would show a very-serious, budget-aware shopper -- more than 1/2 of the items were store brand -- not concealing or hiding anything. Spending 90+ minutes in order to compare and keep track of prices and making informed decisions about purchases. At the same time, being viewed by MANY other store employees as well as patrons.

After reading the very brief response(s) on my new thread and being told an attorney is REALLY necessary, I'm pretty scared. I cannot afford an attorney. I wish I could. It's just my disabled self and my 11-year old son making due on disability benefits at this time. I have upcoming correctional and replacement surgeries that will hopefully improve my future abilities and this whole episode is really making things sooo much worse and terrifying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">